Trumpeter Liberators on facebook

Guest Maxim

B-17 Operators in WWII:

B-24 Operator's in WWII

It sure does look like "everyone" operated the B-24 based on what's listed above (taken from Wikipedia).  Those lists don't even mention the US Navy or lend-lease operators either.  I didn't even go into Post War operators.

Edited by Juggernut

Hi Juggernaut,

All those air forces you listed for the B-24 also flew B-17s, though (to be fair) they generally flew quite a few more B-24s...

Cheers,

Dana

Edited by Dana Bell

Hi Juggernaut,

All those air forces you listed for the B-24 also flew B-17s, though (to be fair) they generally flew quite a few more B-24s...

Cheers,

Dana

Really? That warms my heart as I'm a huge fan of the 17 and hate to see the ole girl dissed.  I don't know that much at all about B-24's though, other than a few of the things like the ball turret and some other general information.  I know the Pacific air forces preferred the 24 as it had a greater range but in the early days, they used the 17.    I have but precious few references on the 24 and are more of the general, survey types of references rather than dedicated, in-depth references. 

Edited by Juggernut

Guest Clunkmeister

"Everyone" being a slight exaggeration but still a point that many nations operated the B-24, including postwar operators, as well as the B-24 seeing much more widespread use in WW2, not just concentrated in Europe where the publicity was, as per the B-17.

I like the 17 as well Tim, but I'm a fan of the underdog. Once you scrape away the hype and hoopla, you find out that because the majority of the press was located in Western Europe and that was mostly B-17 territory, the B-17 got the glory. It's understandable, actually.

They were both good aircraft, but the B-24 was a newer design, more efficient, but not without it's considerable quirks.

For example, God help a crew that had to ditch in one. The B-24 would almost certainly break it's back and trap the crew in the front of the aircraft.

And it was apparently almost impossible for the pilot to bail out of.

And it handled like an overloaded freight wagon.

But it was fast, it had long legs, was efficient, could carry more than the 17 when needed, and was much more versatile.

Edited by Clunkmeister

With a lanc and a liberator coming I need a bigger house. And a new bank manager

I've got a 1/32 B 17 G on the shelf and a 1/48 CC130J (I moded to the long fuselage “super hercâ€) and the herc is as long with nearly the same span.... wait'll that comes out in 32nd Scale! I may have to use my bombers to take over a bigger room in the house

Here's hoping that HobbyBoss releases the B-24J with both the Consolidated turret AND the Emerson turret for the nose.  That will only add to the marking possibilities.  I think we could go crazy with kit options but based on my limited knowledge with the aircraft, these nose turrets are defining factors between the various J aircraft.  I have read (someplace) that Consolidated used their tail turret in the nose (modified?) until enough Emerson turrets were available.  I don't know how true (or not) this is but it does seem to agree with production montra at the time of "get em out the door and into combat".

Likewise with the B-24D, I hope they give us the option of a ventral tunnel gun as well as the Sperry ball turret.  They might even include a couple different nose configurations to allow a wider range of marking options. 

Like they say...  "Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other and see which one gets filled first."  I'm cautiously optimistic about these releases and hope that in the end, we'll get models that lend themselves to a wide array of marking options (without having to do major surgery).  I do see a huge opportunity for the aftermarket industry in both markings and airframe variations.  Time will tell....