AIMS Mistel 2 Ju 88 component

Pastor John

Hi guys, been doing something for myself recently - namely finishing a Mistel 2 I started when I first launched the conversion, need to get on with some other things now so it might be a while before I get on with the Fw 190. I also cannot find any primer here in Hungary akin to the Halfords primer i was used to in UK so i am a little stuck. Hope you like anyway.

20150904_094431_zpsx3sryaos.jpg20150904_094548_zpsia8doash.jpg20150904_094629_zpsnbjstfgq.jpg20150904_094740_zpss1ld5he9.jpg

Beautiful finish John.  Love the weathering, stains, etc.  Very inspiring.

I hope to resume my Mistel 2 Ju88 very soon as my bench overhaul nears finish.  Any chance you have any close up pics of the mounts, main and rear showing piping and wiring?  

Edited by Rick K

Hi guys thanks for comments - few more pics - hate close up with flash as I had so many problems with this model. Not sure close ups of the wiring and fuel connections will help - think my instructions will be clearer? Anyway wiring to the left, fuel line to the right. wiring in yellow or silver? I do not know? I sprayed a base coat of Humbrol RLM 76 (their 247) and it came out like sandpaper! I was trying to save on my Xtracolor 76 and wish i had not bothered - same issue with RLM 70 on props and spinners - really gutted, I then found my Fantasy Printshop decals would not react with the Microscale Set and Sol products I have used for years - odd because when I did my 1/36 AIMS G-6 everything was fine - as a result silvering everywhere....then my matt varnish would not dry - feels tacky to hold a week latter - sob sob sob. 

Anyway as you may know the main wing of Ju 88 G-1s and 6's are finished from factory in solid RLM 75 with just the leading edge in 76. Flaps and ailerons painted like fuselage with RLM 76 first then 75 mottle. You should therefore not really have mottle on wing root fairings or leading edge (I have both on mine as brain was not working). A result of the Luftwaffe system of sometimes going from dark to light is that you often can see that upper wing RLM 75 mottle looks much more 'feathery' than the denser - more direct application as seen on the fuselage. Put another way the RLM 75 on upper surfaces is what is left over rather than applied. Just thought I would share that. My RLM 75 is my own, I take Xtracolor RLM 75 and add 1 tiny drop of white and 1 tiny drop of red - works for me.

As for staining Ju 88s landing flaps have raised rivets which really catch the dirt behind an engine like the BMW 801 which on the 88 has an exhaust bank at the top and sides (reversed on Fw 190). 88s also have notoriously bad oil seals for the hatch on the rear upper wing cowling - so BMW Ju 88 s are a real mess! I always spray exhaust stained areas a tan colour first and then back-fill with dark grey and then black. Finallyi apply artists oil pints of Raw Umber and black.

Finally note that on Mistels any redundant equipment is removed and plated over so no under wing FuG 101 or heating system in the front wing root or left side mid fuselage etc.

20150904_142907_zpsvgz6mwzv.jpg20150904_143001_zpsygjw9d5j.jpg20150904_143104_zps62lsqabh.jpg20150904_143250_zps9jiokzcq.jpg

Edited by Pastor John

Thanks for the detail pics John.  Yes your instructins show good illustrations of the piping and wiring.  However, seeing it on an actual build give volumes of detail and "ideas to borrow'.

So the next big question...when will be see Rudi's FW190?

Really nice.  I like your attention to detail.  I have no knowledge on/of this subject.  I thought new airframes were used in this endeavor and not any that were war weary.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Edited by dodgem37