Echelon 1/32 Lightning........back to basics!

gunpowder

This is a big part of the Lightning F.2A/F.6 that Trumpeter completely missed. The kink in the leading edge of the wing. Frank Brown captured it superbly.

Btt1EHR.jpg

I bought this wide dual sander from Flory models at Southern expo at the weekend. It has been invaluable especially with that kinked wing.

CeckJVK.jpg

Edited by gunpowder

Great work so far. For inspiration check out the work from Master John Wolstenholme: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/127657-eebac-lightning-f6/&page=21

Yep, mentioned a couple of times already, including my note about potentially turning John's build into a book for KLP Publishing. John's not convinced, unfortunately, but you never know. Perhaps a show of interest would convince him.

Kev

I would love to see a book about it. Unfortunately i am no John Wolstenholme , so this one will not be in the same league!

The vacformer turned up today and i eagerly rushed into using it. Set the top oven to 170 , gorilla taped the hoover nozzle to it and away i went. One thing i have noticed so far is that the PETg clear stuff hold the temperature longer that the plasticard that came with it , which is good. I also did not realise that vacforming would pick up the tiny little imperfections in the milliput master. It doesnt look bad for a first attempt , and im happy with it as a test. I wouldnt really use it on a model but it looks OK. Theres plenty of time later on for playing around with it. Back to the model for now.

Heres a couple of pics of my first efforts

OT5jbeb.jpg

qn1H5Hb.jpg

NjpPApA.jpg

I just made a nice accidental discovery. I was going to make a template for the plate panel with rows of small rivets on it that fits in the top of the wheel bay. I was using gorilla tape and noticed it had near enough the exact pattern embossed on it that i was looking for , so i used the tape itself! What a time saver!

fIdn9XH.jpg

• 1 year later...