Turning a Zeke into a Hamp

Hans

If you remove the large gun bulge under the wings, you end up with one of the first models of the A6M5, that already had the new wings, but yet the A6M3's cowling. One example of those transitional models is pictured in the "In Action"-issue on the Zero.

I think, I'll go with that specimen.

post-905-1175776631.jpg

is supposed to be a MOD 22, but has the cowling for the MOD 32

I believe the cowlings are the same between the model 22 and model 32. They changed when the Sakae 21 engine was introduced. (Hence the second 2 in 22 and 32.... 2 airframe and 2 engine changes and 3 airframe and 2 engine changes respectively) {Sakae 12 changed to Sakae 21}

TimC :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

A short update

The wingtips have been sanded into shape. Final shaping will be done when the upper & lower wing halves have been cemented together. The ailerons will be cut out next. According to the drawings these are longer but not so wide as on the A6M5.

post-1501-1176823310.jpg

Thanks for your kind words, Sabre. There not much to show at the moment :). By the way, can you post some pics of your SBD soon? I am very curious how you do the overlapping skin effect.

As for the Hamp I've been looking into how to make correct wheel wells. The ones in the kit have been removed, they are too shallow. Scratching new ones is not easy. The wells have very intricate corners and angles that are difficult to replicate in scale. I think I"ll try casting copies from the ones in the Tamiya Zero kit (never tried casting before :) ) and detail and modify these.

cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans,

Which Tamiya kit do you have, as the A6M2, has parts for the A6M3 including: spinner, ailerons-a choice of two for long and clipped wing, underwing panels for different armament, also of note is the A6M3 had the same rudder as the A6M2.

If you don't have the A6M2 maybe you could post a request for someone using the MDC Rufe conversion, as they won't be needing any of those parts including the rudder and wheel wells.

Good luck!

I tried to take some photos yesterday Hans but the lighting in my shop really sucks for pics. I've been working away, and I'll take some photos outside in daylight in a few hours. The panel lines may not show up as the plastic where I tried is the dark blue but I'll be priming it shortly and try the pics again.

Sabre

Kagemusha,

I have the dash 5 version of the Tamiya kit. As far as I know the wheel wells changed shape with the advent of the A6M3, due to the different engine bearers for the new engine. The Tamiya kit is to be converted into the night fighter version with the oblique cannon. The project has stalled unfortunately: I am still looking for photos that show the upper rear deck of this type of aircraft. I suspect there is a service hatch for the upward-firing cannon on that particular spot. So far I have had no luck.

I have casting stuff sitting in my cupboard for over a year now. I think it is about time I give it a try :) .

As for the ailerons I have drawings of those, but I am curious in how far the rudder of the M2/M3 differed from the M5?

Thanks,

Hans

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update

The ailerons have been cut out of the wings and sanded to shape. Next the ribbing on the ailerons will be added.

post-1501-1179412116.jpg

The cowl from the Hasegawa kit has been modified using the Tamiya cowl and drawings from the Maru Mechanic book on the Zero. Firstly the openings for the guns have been filled with plastic card and super glue and sanded smooth. Next thing was to sand the cowls' front to a more rounded profile as it is much too square.

The openings for the guns have been cut out using the Tamiya ones as a pattern and the cut-out for the air intake has been made. The lip for the intake still has to be fabricated.

post-1501-1179413276.jpg

The metal cowl that comes with the kit is useless. It's diameter is too small and it is too round wheras the Zero cowl has an elliptical shape.

Hi Hans, the difference between the A6M2/3 rudder and that of the 5 is the fixed trim tab, though apparently some late 2's also had a moveable trim tab like the 5.

Regards the nightfighter version, I've been unable to find anything showing a service hatch-though I think you're right, and I've a feeling it was on the starboard side. there were also two different types of mount for the upward firing gun, the first was mounted along the centreline, the other to the port side firing up and out at a 30 degree angle from the centreline-it's also mounted over to the port side.

Sorry for not being able to post any drawings, but I'm hopeless when it comes to computers-though I did build and design my own, confused? Welcome to my world!

You should ask the guys over at j-aircraft, maybe someone over there has better drawings than me & can actually post them!