Junkers 88 A1 detail photos

the main wheelbay has the same gold colour ( looks like anodised but its not the same process as anadiose..as its electrolite process..not sure of the correct english word on that ( electrolyzed ? )

the large flat panels inside the wheelbay is grey..the rest are goldcolour

and you are quite right..it does look like a spitfire on the main compass..hehe

post-5311-1225832150.jpg

I'm starting to think that this topic might need to be pinned at some point so that all can take advantage of the hugh amount of reference materials for years to come...

Great stuff!

Was thinking the same thing myself.

Keep it coming Guttorm.

a detailpicture of the glass covering the landinglight on the wing and how it should be painted ( black area on the inside )

Interesting! Is the 'glass' really glass, or is it Plexiglas (plastic)? The early forms of Plexiglas had a tendency to yellow fast when exposed to UV rays, they would have probably thought the problem wasn't great due to the expected life span of the aircraft. If that was the case, the glass might have been clear when new?

Interesting! Is the 'glass' really glass, or is it Plexiglas (plastic)?

Guttorm will conform this one way or another, but I believe that it's real glass. Even today landing light covers and running/navigation lights, etc., are still glass and not some form of polymer.

Hej guys, thought I would jump in on this one.... Yellow coloured landing lights are easier on the eyes when landing at night, so there is a chance that it was used on this aircraft. Secondly, through 10000+ hours and 4 massive bird strikes I can honestly say that glass is not normally used to cover landing lights that are built into the LE (leading edge) of the wing... glass is to brittle and has no flexibility to withstand the impact of a bird the size of a crow, but plexiglass does. All landing lights that are built this way that I have seen are also cooled by fresh air being scooped and routed through the lens cover of the actual light, behind the plexi glass. If the bird manages to shatter the plexiglass then the light will most likely be toast too..... The last massive bird strike I had happend at 200' AGL on an ILS approach into Vienna where the entire right engine spinner was destroyed, first stage compressor section destroyed and the loss of 30cm of one prop blade stuck into the side of the right forward fuselage. The manufacturer actually changed from a carbon fibre spinner to a machined aluminum one after this ... the finding were many... and the plexiglass LE landing light cover shielded the actual glass lamp behind it...

I landed and almost died when I finally got out and saw the exterior damage....

Cheers

Alan

the main wheelbay has the same gold colour ( looks like anodised but its not the same process as anadiose..as its electrolite process..not sure of the correct english word on that ( electrolyzed ? )

the large flat panels inside the wheelbay is grey..the rest are goldcolour

and you are quite right..it does look like a spitfire on the main compass..hehe

Hi junkers88a1,

You are probably thinking about "electroplating" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroplating

Anodising http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodization

These are amazing photos. I envy you.

Radu

a detailpicture of the glass covering the landinglight on the wing and how it should be painted ( black area on the inside )

Fantastic detail pictures...thank you very much :blink: B)

On the yellow light. To me that lens looks as though it was always meant to be yellow rather than having aged and changed from clear. Alan is right about the yellow light being easier on your eyes.

White light bleaches the pigment from your eyes and temporarily destroys your night vision. If you close your eyes it reforms quickly. I'd imagine having white landing lights scattering light all over fog clouds would almost be blinding and kinda counterproductive. This isn't so for red or yellow wavelengths even though there is apparently no particular colour that penetrates fog better than any other.(ie apparently those yellow fog lamps are bollocks) Given that red and green colours are already used in the navigation sense I guess its logical that the default is yellow.

The other thing perhaps of interest is that white light projects a beam from the source to its maximum point of illumination. Of course when you're trying to target something you can work backwards to whatever is projecting that light. You see this watching cars travel down a freeway at night when you're on a hill to the side. Militaries use red light as tac lighting to preserve your night vision and to avoid giving away your position.

I guess the yellow could have been a method for providing illumination thats kind to your night vision and avoids any tactical blunders in divulging your position.

Cheers Matty

electroplating was the word i was looking for. now about the landiglight and glass. The A5 we salvaged in 2000 had yellow pleiglass..the C2 we have remains of has ywllow plexiglass..BUT the A1 we salvaged and are now restoring has Yellow GLASS..not plexi.. but its obvious that they soon went away from glass and jused plexi..and its not due to uv light that it has channged as areas of the plexi are well hidden inside the metal that sorrounds it and large portions of that plexi has never seen daylight since it was installet..and those areas are still a yellow as can be

I hav ejust recived my 1:32 modell from Revell ( test ) and darn that is a nice model..just sitting here admiering the kit and wonder when i will start building it..hehe

more later and perhaps some pictures :blink:

Guttorm