Kitty Hawk T-28C

LSP_Kevin

Guest Clunkmeister

Well Carl, I built FOUR.
The fist one was OOB in 2 1/2 weeks and turned out great. The others I modified and they took longer.

The only things of note:

The famous KH thick sprue gates in the oddest of spots.

The lack of ejection dimples. Instead, you get ejection TOWERS which need to be trimmed off. Now, people moan about those, but for me, I prefer trimming towers to filling countless round ejection marks.

The cowl is made up of FIVE parts plus cowl flaps. They need to be cleaned up, but if you followed the directions, they fit absolutely 100% perfectly. The cowl is by far the most fiddly part of the build, but if handled with care, is a complete non event.

The kit includes PE seatbelts. I'm not a fan of PE belts, so it's HGW for me. That's a personal preference only.

The fit of the kit is the next thing to perfection. Take your time and no filler at all is needed.

I'd expect that the C should be 95% the same kit. The lower rear fuselage on the original is an insert, so I'd expect the same plastic.
I'm not sure on panel lines, landing light location, etc, but a few minutes on the web or a trip to most local airports should yield the answers.

I'm thinking of building up an engine and cockpit now, to save time for when the kit hits the market.

edit;  I searched my memory for any issue I might have had, and though of one.  When building the engine, you attach the pushrods and the harness to the engine block itself. The pushrods are given on a ring with the rods radiating out. The ring fits onto the crankcase, and then you mount the gearbox on top of that assembly as install it in the airplane.

The problem comes when you glue on the pushrod ring, it can slowly spring forward slightly as the glue dries, and then the engine ends up being too long and the mags and governor get in the way of the cowl lip. (Ask me how I know)

So build a fixture or whatever, make sure the seating surface is free of paint, and assemble the ring AND gearbox at the same time onto the crankcase. Then clamp or weight the whole thing and allow the assembly to dry fully..

A simple precaution, but it'll bite you at the time when your frustration level is high

You are hereby warned.  :)

Edited by Clunkmeister

Ernie, speaking of Spitfires and beer kegs I found a couple actual wood ones that are the right size for the Mk XXX mod Spitfire I sent you decals for. As they come in a pack of four, I have a couple spares so let me know if you want them for your build.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR