You guys voted, here is my "Help me pick" Ki-84 Hayate (Frank) bui

1to1scale

I manged to get the Montex masks put on last night, I did manage to get them in the right place, but the tail gave me fits, the vinyl must have shrunk, because it was significantly too small for the stabilizer, so I had to add some tape to compensate. Unfortunately it took too long to get all the masks on, so I had to delay spraying paint a bit. hopefully tonight i can get some more progress.

Edited by 1to1scale

I tore into it today, made me smile in a sick and twisted way.

I studied a lot of photos from late war and found some peculiar characteristics of how paint chipped with certain colors. First of all, dark greens did not adhere well at all, and on this aircraft, the cockpit sides lost a lot of paint, as well as the spines, and around the coweling on panel lines. White tended to almost never wear away, red faded but stuck well. Black chipped off in chunks, and yellow stuck fairly well, but faded rapidly, in some cases to almost white. So, after going by these observations, I pulled out my two favorite stiff chipping brushes, a bowl of water, and paper towels. I still have to spray a clear coat, then I can start with the washes, and finally some fading with pastels and pigments. Overall i am happy with it so far.

0wpfBoO.jpg

1zmPvWb.jpg

oYka0ny.jpg

U102pzO.jpg

zYzicR2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I made it under the wire with four hours to spare, but I'm calling this one a completed build for 2017! I will take some RFI pictures in the next couple days.

This build had all the weathering techniques thrown at it, basecoating, mottling, chipping, washes, pastels, and pigments.

Wash...Flory Grime wash (all over airframe) and Vallejo Black Wash (engine)

Pigments...Flory Light Sienna (undercarriage dirt) and Vallejo Pigments Light Yellow Ochre (topside dust)

Pastels...Tamiya Orange Rust, Gun Metal, Soot, and Yellow

Paint...Vallejo Metal Aluminum and Duraluminum. Bottom XF-76, Top XF-67, Interior XF-49

Chipping...Vallejo Chipping Fluid (50/50 mix with thinner)

Csyu7Sx.jpg

r1iCjNg.jpg

hpheHOV.jpg

TQnjCZ0.jpg

nzd2d3W.jpg