1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Hi everyone

Though admiring the craftsmanship on this site for some time now, I just recently joined as a member.

> Does Peter's build need more praise from a complete newbie, after all of the assembled luminaries and experts on this forum have already offered their overwhelming judgement? I don't think so.

Instead – to express my *very* close attention – I will resort to an observation and a question, related to this picture: 

WIP1526_zpsanklhycp.jpg

As the different hues of grey seem to clearly differentiate the red and blue colors on the original plane, it would appear (to me) that the baseplate of the spinner should be painted red instead of blue. 

Could this be true? I'm pretty sure Peter has other pictures of his subject, but i couldn't find them in this gigantic thread ;-)

Sincerely,

Joerg

Hi everyone

Though admiring the craftsmanship on this site for some time now, I just recently joined as a member.

> Does Peter's build need more praise from a complete newbie, after all of the assembled luminaries and experts on this forum have already offered their overwhelming judgement? I don't think so.

Instead – to express my *very* close attention – I will resort to an observation and a question, related to this picture: 

WIP1526_zpsanklhycp.jpg

As the different hues of grey seem to clearly differentiate the red and blue colors on the original plane, it would appear (to me) that the baseplate of the spinner should be painted red instead of blue. 

Could this be true? I'm pretty sure Peter has other pictures of his subject, but i couldn't find them in this gigantic thread ;-)

Sincerely,

Joerg

Hi Joerg & welcome to LSP :)

Thats a great observation and when I was painting the Spinner I was all set to paint the baseplate red..

fortunately, before I did, I checked the two colour pics I have of Race #80...

WIP1533_zpskj8gtycg.jpg

WIP1535_zpshogaezoi.jpg

..now to me, I thought the whole spinner & backplate looked blue - I checked again and I think what we can see is how the black & white photochromatic film has dealt with two different paint types or maybe shades of blue, make it look like it matches the red?

I might do something with it to make the shade / finish different, but I ask your opinion - it all looks blue right?

TIA

Peter

Hello Peter

Thanks for your response. Indeed, the backplate does look blue. ;-)

Notice, how the black&white film has inverted the "lightness" of the two colors, with the red appearing much darker than the blue, when it seems to be the opposite in color pictures (and anybody's guessing, how these colors might have looked under natural light to the naked eye). 

To guess colors from B&W pictures seems to be completely futile...

Hello Peter

Thanks for your response. Indeed, the backplate does look blue. ;-)

Notice, how the black&white film has inverted the "lightness" of the two colors, with the red appearing much darker than the blue, when it seems to be the opposite in color pictures (and anybody's guessing, how these colors might have looked under natural light to the naked eye). 

To guess colors from B&W pictures seems to be completely futile...

Black & White film is more sensitive to blue than to other colors (despite the fact that it is called "panchromatic"), Therefor blue is represented as light grey. To correct this B&W photographers used yellow or orange filters on the lens, especially to darken blue sky in landscape photographs.

So indeed you can't guess colors from a B&W pic. Depending on the filter that's been used, the shades of grey can be wildly different.

Cheers

Rainer

Black & White film is more sensitive to blue than to other colors (despite the fact that it is called "panchromatic"), Therefor blue is represented as light grey. To correct this B&W photographers used yellow or orange filters on the lens, especially to darken blue sky in landscape photographs.

So indeed you can't guess colors from a B&W pic. Depending on the filter that's been used, the shades of grey can be wildly different.

Cheers

Rainer

Thanks Rainer. I even used to know about the orange filters, back in the dirty old "chemical" days of photography.

Kev's supposition of the baseplate being black sounds possible (and would explain the very distinctive demarcation in the B&W photo, as well as the somewhat blurred, darker "rim" in the color pictures). For the sake of aesthetics, I would still prefer the thing to remain blue, though ;-)

Nuff' said about this darn backplate!

Ultimately, it's Pete's decision, whatever he does shall be the "truth" ...