Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

Put the lime in the coconut and drink 'em all up....(anybody else out there remember that crazy song?) Well put the two Revell Zeke parts together and here's what you get. With the modifications it'll pass as the George office.

post-345-1242608676.jpg

Same stuff, different angle. I know its not great guys but aas mentioned I'm trying to hard to just build this one and not get tangled up in the never ending (Advanced Modelers Syndrome). It would look better with a few washes and more wiring but thats not going to happen on this one. Most of this was done speed-building...justs cut it and glue it on and hope it turned okay. Once its all glued up inside the fuselage I'll be happy.

post-345-1242608852.jpg

One last image for now, might look kind of wierd but its the hand crafted throttle linkage, control lever, whatever. The George had aa large box with a few levers and was more noticeable than most fighters had. I busted this one out of a few scrap plastic pieces and let it fly. Its stsuck to some blue tape and has green painted circled around it, still kinda hard to make out I guess.

post-345-1242609071.jpg

Just re-read my own typing and I made a bunch of typing errors. My eyes are starting to cross and Im tired so I'm going to bed. Next is the big fuselage assembly so stay tuned.

That is pure sweetness on the cockpit Wingman! Can't wait to see how it looks lined up in the fuse. :) Man, you're moving right along on this George....can't wait to see the next progress pics! Later, Russ

Good work. It looks like you are enjoying what you are doing.

Point of interest, right now (May 18,2009) there is a 1/24 Bandai George kit on ebay with about 4 days to go. The lot number is 160335518737 and so far the bidding is low. No, it is not mine. My kit is safely lost somewhere in my stash.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, now that the detailed parts are covered I should be able to run through the rest. Thanks also to you ssculptor for the tip about the 1/24 George on e-bay. I also have one in my stash and can't wait to get to it. I am enjoying this build and the George is a big-time favorite of mine. To me, its the Japanese version of the P-47. Someone once said "imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"?

One last look at the engine before I put the cowling cover on. Its glued in and the fuselage is one solid piece now. The engine mounted with a click ( a note for guys who might build this kit in the future...very little of the engine will be seen once the spinner and prop are on so feel free to use the lousy kit engine)

post-345-1242862055.jpg

Once the fuselage was filled I got a huge kick out of literally "drop fitting" the Revell A6M5 cockpit parts into the bottom of the George. :P I just can't over emphasize how good the fit is with NO modifications. (if you build this kit some day try to find the cockpit parts from some left over Revell Zeke or the parts from the 21st Century A6M2 would probably work. This is a good kit and I'd say all it really needs is a cockpit.

post-345-1242862297.jpg

Ok ok...we know its not a 100% percent accurate N1K2 cockpit but we don't have to tell anybody else. It was quick and easy, I used some old spare parts that would otherwise rot and it looks good from this angle to me. It saved me several hours of tweaking tiny parts and suffering from a bad case of AMS. Next comes mating the wings to the fuselage.

post-345-1242862664.jpg