Early P-51 Sumthin

ruzlkampf

• 2 weeks later...

Whooohooo!!!! 'FLUNG DUNG' DONE!!!!!!!

Hope everybody is having a great Holiday Season and got lots of neat toys?! I took a pause from the Bearcat, (ooooh, it's close to being finished....so close) to give this 'bird-with-a-broken-wing' a last shove across the finish line for this GB. After a few minor calamities and insufferable allergic reactions to some of my witches-brew of paints I stirred up....I pronounce it finito.

As usual, I'll let LSP_Dave sort thru the hodge-podge of walk-around pics for inclusion in the gallery. (He's VERY good at that! :evil_laugh: ) OK, guess I'll throw some photos out there with some of my mindless drivel as captions as I go along. Here we go! Behold; 'FLUNG DUNG', a fictitious P-51A from the 1st Air Commando in China.

post-4413-1261803137.jpg

post-4413-1261803155.jpg

Now, it's been a long time since I started this thread and if ya'll remember this is a conversion of the Mk. 1A kit. Lets see, I remember I put Dragon drop-tanks on it (it just looked too clunky with bazooka tubes/bombs), re-located the mg's, and landing lights, got a modified Revell P-40 prop on it, and a re-done air intake. Can't remember what all else. :evil_laugh: Anyway, I'll loooong remember the finaggling I had to do to get those rear 1/4 windows in place. Whuf. But I digress. More pics;

post-4413-1261803544.jpg

post-4413-1261803567.jpg

Views from the rear. Now that I thunk a bit about it, I also put resin wheels/tires on it and re-shaped the nose contours a little. Gonna hate to see this one go, as it's been a good prop for showing the size differences of some of my other builds. Sigh. :evil_laugh:

post-4413-1261803834.jpg

post-4413-1261803853.jpg

Yeah, I weathered the crap outta this. I like em nice and skanky. :lol: Now exhaust stains are my nemesis, and these were no exception. Without delving into specifics, I turned my stars 'n bars on the sides into shriveled prunes with the toxic brew I whupped up to spray. After eating a pudding cup in resignation and going beck to this an hour later,....they layed themselves back down just fine. A Xmas MIRACLE!!!!! :evil_laugh: I wuz a happy little toad. :P Let's move on;

post-4413-1261804505.jpg

Aaaaaand,..last pics of this build. I lament not putting a 1/2 nekkid woman on this (for morale purposes and all that. :evil_laugh: ) but couldn't find any nose-art on any planes in this unit. A pretty stolid bunch of guys, or too busy I guess? :lol: Anywho, just some yellow script to give this some personality and a pat on the bum before I shove it out the door. As always, I'd like to thank LSP for giving us a playground to zoom our model airplanes around in....and also the staff who make it all possible!!! This thread is now a part of history, and I hope ya'll enjoyed it as much as I did?! Must get back to my Bearcat air-racer,....so I leave everybody with these last pics. Later all! Russ

post-4413-1261805079.jpg

post-4413-1261805095.jpg

THE END

Awesome result Russ! Your finish and weathering look excellent to my eye. Maybe you should keep this one?

:evil_laugh:

Kev

Merry Christmas Kevin!!!!! :P Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think I pulled this off quite as well as I'd like. I'd rather see a kid varooming it around up and down the street than collecting dust on a shelf somewhere. B) Gotta make room on the bench (uhhhh, my dining room floor?) for another project. heh heh. Methinks an all RLM high-altitude ME-109 G-10 maybe? :lol: