P-38 Lightning

ruzlkampf

Cool stuff Russ! I am getting over your vivisection as this time I am not as deeply disturbed by it. How about undoing his helmet straps for a more casual look? Just a thought. Also, don't give in to political-correctness, it needs a risque babe on the side! My uncle's B-24 had a naked girl in a cocktail glass and his plane was named "Hell, Fire and Damnation". Can't wait to see more.

Matt

Dooooh, don't encourage me Matt! :huh: Hmmm, like the idea of some loose helmet straps.....and an un-lit stogey in his mouth he can be chewing on. he he. Darn it, your last idea for the Oscar pilot still has people asking if he's gonna sit down. :rolleyes: Good thing I didn't give him the ceremonial samurai sword too; everybody would be asking what THAT is too. Yeah, I like the idea of the cigar,...politically incorrect yet very 'edgey' and Bill Clintonish.

But I digress. Cockpit is 98% complete,(it comes with an N-9 gunsight, and I'm stuffing an K-14 in there) and waiting on me to finish the pilot and his straps. Almost ready to start putting all the pieces together and make a P-38. Here's some crappy pics of the pit with the pilot test-fitted.

post-4413-1238995799.jpg

post-4413-1238995808.jpg

Okay, better pics of that area when the pilot is done. :rolleyes: Here's a shot of the empty pit. My close-ups aren't doing too hot tonight, but ya'll get the idea. Wheel wells are done and ready to install. After I complete the pilot, I'll be making up my new 'spar unit' and can finish throwing this contraption together.

post-4413-1238996102.jpg

Because I'm making a "J' version of this 'L' kit, I'm having to make some minor mods. There are 4 kidney shaped bumps under the wing that I don't see on any of the AC I have from this squadron/time period. Don't know if they're some kinda fuel pump, or flap actuator, blah blah....but they ain't there anymore. Also shaved the dive flap attachments on the spar off, and filled in the hole for the actuator mechanism. I think I'm modelling a J-5 version of this AC, and I don't see the leading edge landing light on the port wing in my refs. They're still under both outter wing panels in this version looking at my pics of operational AC of this squadron. So I cut those out. Whew! :rolleyes: OK, also filled in the holes for the outter wing rocket launching tubes. Here's a pic.

post-4413-1238996648.jpg

Was looking thru that Bearcat box tonight, Allok! The mg's in this kit are 'sleeved', and I guess they pulled those off for cooling in the field as every one I've seen has the 'perforations' showing. Bearcat is a racer and won't be needing it's 4 guns anymore, so the guns will show up on this critter. Bearcat is not a dead project, but I've got an extra that just might show up in this GB as it's new enough.(and I haven't already started it.) Either that, or a Dragon Mustang racer....I think that might be new enough also? Anywho,....gotta go whip up some steak 'n eggs, and start working on the spar for this thing. I want to start painting those dragons by the middle of this week.(I think I'll finish this before 8 months. :huh: ) he he.

Later, Russ

Whoakay, popped back on to show the latest before I call it a night. Got my booms put together, and taped everything back up yet again for a 'spar clearance test'. Lots of elbow room for any kind of spar I can botch up and slap in there. That's the good news.

Whilst everything was mocked together, I decided to do a 'how much weight will I need in the nose to get this frapping thing to sit on it's front wheel test'. The deerections say 60 grams,...but I ain't astute enough to do the cipherings for that, so I started loading up pennies on the front. About 30 U.S. cents worth to get it to sit solidly. OOOhhh MYyyy!!! :rolleyes:

Glad I left the engines out, cuz it looks like I'll need the area to distribute some weight. Also looks like I'll be shopping for some sperical lead fishing weights to fandangle into those nose contours. Here's some pics that'll make ya go hmmmmm.

post-4413-1239022090.jpg

Looks like I'm trying to get 5 gallons into a 1 gallon bucket, eh?! :huh: Ahhh, I'll be able to pull it off OK, methinks. Was kinda cool to see it sitting on it's gear unassisted, and to see the Revell props look fairly good on there. Also, I deem the kit landing geat structurally sound, with this much weight.(but only marginally; a good bump/drop would snap them like twigs with this much weight. Sitting on a shelf..no prob.)

Should have pics of the 'spar job' tomorrow night, and some other progress. See ya'll then! :rolleyes: Later, Russ

post-4413-1239022986.jpg

Hi Russ,

I am a political nitwit and as far as political correct, duhuh. And I am from Holland and Goat Whore sounds like fun. Could you let me now how it looks??

Looks fine soo far.

Rick.

Looking better all the time. Your doing some fine work. The nose weight reminds me of the A-10 I am trying to get back to the front of the bench. It takes 80+ grams to get it to set on the nose gear.

Texas :wub: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Okay, Been busy as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs lately, working on my 'weight problem'. :) Uhhh, trying to add some,...that is! :P Got it all figured out and locked in with some 5-minute epoxy. Also got mucho done on the prop spindles, getting my turbo-superchargers trimmed for the wing spars, lots more test fitting to make sure this is gonna go together OK, and other assorted what-nots that I'll go over in a little bit.

After all that hoopla, I FINALLY have it sitting on it's gear un-assisted and ready to go together. Whoohoo! ;) I'm going to try an unorthodox method of putting these last 5 major pieces together, and come out with a hopefully squared up P-38. Here she sits, taped together for the last test fit/weight check.

post-4413-1239176012.jpg

Last check of the pilot fit for height and arm placement before he gets finished off. BTW, the instrument panel is a wee bit too tall, and bumps the bottom of the front glass up a bit as it comes OOB. I've already started drawing dragons on the booms in anticipation of starting to paint this tomorrow night. My attention span is only about 3 weeks on a kit, and I'm pushing a week now....so it's time to get this slapped together tonight and move on with things.

Decided to name this machine, 'Panty Waste', with maybe 7-somethin kill marks. Haven't decided on the bazooka tubes yet. Also have pics of this unit getting armed with depth charges for ASW patrols!!! ;) Pretty rare for a P-38. Soon as I fix dinner, I'm going to be documenting putting together the booms, spars, and wing center section/elevator and boxing the basic structure together. Last major hurdle before paint, and the culmination of all this test-fitting and sub-assembly work. More pics later on tonight as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1239176833.jpg