Heavy Mod - 1/18 21st Century Toys P-47D Razorback

JayW

All right - the instrument panel area is going to be really challenging.  Since the P-47D doesn't have a shroud that hides the back of the IP, I think I need to make some pneumatic lines and electrical wiring, at least what can be easily seen.  Also since the IP is mounted on two separate structural members (the rudder pedal support beam, and the gun sight arch), and alot of the IP work must be done prior to these parts being installed into the fuselage, I made a jig of sorts to do this work.  Not sure if it will work well, but here it is:

BJiNGgAh.jpg

This jig simulates the upper longerons which serve as the means of attachment of the two structural members, and assures the two members are located properly fore/aft relative to one another.  As you can see, this will allow me to mount the IP off the airplane and later install the whole thing as one unit.  Should be interesting; stay tuned.

Also, work has begun in earnest completing the IP including its instruments:

3Ht9ehth.jpg

I have made some improvements since last I made an IP (the P-38 Lucky Lady) a couple years ago.  One, I am using plastic instead of alum for the instrument barrels, and two, I am using pools of epoxy instead of punched clear plastic for the instrument glass.  Both should make the IP look cleaner.

Next post I should have the IP done, with lines hanging out the back like spaghetti hopefully running to things like other instruments or manifolds.  Til then.

Edited by JayW

The instrument panel is about 95% done.  I have a little data card to attach to the front, and a couple more pneumatic lines in the back.  Take a look:

yTqs97Rl.jpg

JPhjAekl.jpg

I am pleased as punch with this IP; hope you are too.  It's better than either of my two other 1/18 efforts (Lightning, and Mustang).  Note that some of these instruments are electrical.  I have guessed at the wire runs (probably wrong), but they will be practically (but not entirely) unseen.  I have a good idea how the pneumatic lines go, because the IP installation drawing, complements of Republic Aviation, shows them all.  Some of them will be fairly visible. 

Next post will be the results of my attempt to attach the IP to the gunsight arch and rudder pedal support beam, and route all the lines to their proper places.  It is very ambitious.  Perhaps then, you will see why I am trying to do it in the first place.

Edited by JayW

• 2 weeks later...

Have been busy with the Oxygen gauge panel, and the armament switch panel, both of which are pretty specific to the -30 (the previous models got something different, and the ones after got something different still).  But what I was really busy with was the pneumatic lines in back of the instrument panel.  I actually got this to work to my satisfaction (forward armor plate is removed so this work could be done):

Pie2GRTl.jpg

hqJHaMal.jpg

Keep in mind this stuff will be visible when the assembly is installed into the fuselage - at least enough so that some of it needs to be there.  You'll see soon enough.

Here is a bunch of stuff that is about ready to be installed:

sG5Jzo8l.jpg

This is a big deal.  Note the instrument panel and its support structure have been freed of the jig they were attached to.  Don't need it anymore; it worked great. The IP now has the oxygen panel (three gauges) above the RH rudder pedal.  The armament switch panel is lying by itself (with the red switch covers), and will mount between the rudder pedals.  The forward floor is now ready to go, with its heater tube.  It will take a determined inspector to find it once installed, being situated in front of the rudder pedals.  When this stuff is installed, I have to fiddle with the left hand rudder cable that runs from the pedal past the main circuit panel, to a pulley wheel on the aft floor, underneath the bomb release bracket to the left of the seat, through a hole in the side wall panel, and finally through a hole in the aft bulkhead.  I will make sure to take a pic of this detail next post when all this stuff will be installed.     

Edited by JayW