HPH stuff

Phartycr0c

Agreed with most all of what has been said here. I agree with Dean. The HpH kits are exceptionally challenging, and could be made more "builder friendly". I only know this after building the likes of a FM&P kit, that while not shake and bake, was no where near the trial my Walrus is/was. 

Now then, that all being said...................

I WILL have a Tiger Cat.

I WILL finish it.

IT WILL be great. 

I used "will" a lot because that is what I am going to FULLY pit against my F7F when I get my hands on it. 

Now then, that all being said...................

I WILL have a Tiger Cat.

I WILL finish it.

IT WILL be great. 

I used "will" a lot because that is what I am going to FULLY pit against my F7F when I get my hands on it. 

I CAN FEEL YOUR ENJOYMENT ALREADY.... :frantic: :frantic:

I mean, I've actually completed HpH kits, so they're definitely attainable, and without the amount of complaining that seems to populate threads about them. The L-29 was delightful to build.  Still need to get back to my 410, but I have nowhere to put it until I buy a new display case, so it's on indefinite pause until that happens.

I find them to be fascinating subjects that need work. But what kit doesn't? Are we men or not?

Matt 

I'm pretty much a resin man, and my last six or seven builds have all been resin. I built the HPH Lavochkin La-7 1/32 about a couple of years back and it went together quite well. After the casting blocks were removed (fairly straight forward) it was pretty much a straight forward build with the usual cleanup which is part of the course with resin. IMHO the top quaity resin kits are from Silver Wings, Lukgraph, Alley Cat and HPH. Aerotech are also very good as is Fisher's Model and Pattern. Craftworks are very good also but require a little bit more cleanup but build into great finsihed models. Another reason I prefer resin is that the finished model is a bit more robust, solid and heavier than a IM kit.

My preferred tools for resin are:

Tamiya sanding sponges

A good set of mini diamond files

Tamiya hard coated half round file

15 min epoxy resin, which I try and use all the time, and also makes a good filler.

Super glue gel, for really small stuff but never for anything (well almost) outside the cockpit.

Gator glue, for photo etch

Scribing tool

Tamiya HG straight and decal tweezers

Cheers!

Iain

Edited by IainCleland

Hello

After returning to the hobby a couple of years ago, mostly because my wooden ship models take so long that I wanted to complete things at a faster pace, I am just embarking on HPH's Helldiver. I have to admit I'm a little daunted by the whole thing so have decided to have it as a "third build in progress" meaning that I'll work on it while I have nothing to do on other builds generally. I have the fortune in a sense that both fuselage halves we're slightly damaged in my kit, HPH have replaced them, meaning I have a couple of large complex bits to practice with and possibly spares in case I mess something up along the way. 

So far the advice to look ahead seems agreed and makes a lot of sense, I am cleaning up the parts and leaving a little extra resin in areas that seem to make sense. I will try and build as much of the model without glue before I actually stick anything together. 

I got the G Factor gear and it seems far better than what was provided with the kit, however the kit its self if rather impressive to my relatively inexperienced eye. 

I am waiting on some reference material and information from the person I am kind of building it for (her grandfather flew on in WW2 and I'd like to finish it as closely to that particular plane if I am able).

Any advice beyond what can be found here would be very welcome.

Best

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Awesome kit - it's in the stash along with the G Factor gear - now just to find the time and commitment to hunker down and build her :)

Peter