OEFFAG Albatros DIII, Austrian LFT, 1917

blackbetty

the foremost lovers have to be removed on both side of the fuse, since the austrian version didnt have them

two access doors have to be scribed/attached on the other side, since the german version didnt have these (no photo - had a little accident there)

post-2020-1262949004.jpg

Suhweeeeeet Karl! :evil_laugh: Wheeeeew, this is getting good, real good. B) I never knew about the radiator, nice mod! Not really up on my Albatros sub-variants (still too early in the morning! :P ) but because this has the geared Daimler(?) does it still have the spinner? Dunno myself, so I thought I'd ask. It's cool these don't have the Spandaus; I had a go with the PE cooling jackets for the first time and they sure were fiddly! Really liking this variant, just enough of a difference to set it apart from the other Albatros builds. Whoohoo! Looking forward to the next set of updates dude, you really got it going on with this one. LIKE IT! :piliot:

Karl,

I'm glad to see someone converting the German Albatros to an Oeffag 253.Excellent work to date my friend.I'll be following your thread closely.The Oeffag Albatros D.III 253 series is my favorite amung all the Albatros types.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette :speak_cool: :tumble: :piliot: ;) :thumbsup:

thanx for the encouragement russ, peter and gregory!

i am converting this one to a 153 model. the austrian manufaturers were given a number, in OEFFAGs case a 5, the lisence built albatrosses had the model number 3, so the first series was a 53, after a decimal point was the individual aircraft number. the second series got a "1" added IN FRONT of the 53, hence the second series was designated 153, the third series 253. each series had a increasingly powerful engine fitted, the last one having the 220hp austro daimler that gave the plane superior performance thatn their german counterparts. the airframe on all of the OEFFAG DIIIs was stregthened, so they never had the wing braking issues of the original design.

i am depicting 153.45, still having the spinner (allthough it was known to fly off and damage the airframe, so it was left off sometimes). only the 153.112 and later planes had the new nose that didn use a spinner in the firstplace. there was an all-red brumowsky 253(.209) series plane too, but it had a flaregun mounted to the top wing, as well as an british aldis telescopic sight (both i dont have a clue how they looked or how they were mounted, there are no closeup pics). upon that i would have to do a copletely new nose and am afraid i wont finish it before the deadline.

enough of the history lesson :)

i started on the cowling

post-2020-1263219233.jpg