RFI --- WnW AMC DH-2 7907 ---- 32 Sqn Sept 1916

Out2gtcha

Magnificent Brian. A truly splendid model. In one or two of your photos the rigging looks excrutiatingly complex. It's a credit to your methodical approach that you pulled it off with aplomb.

I love some of the detail touches. The belts, the patch over the bullet hole and some of the weathering to the linen. It looks so realistic. Remarkable stuff all round.

Although not typically my genre this has been absolutely enthralling and fascinating to watch. Thanks for doing your usual top-notch job in sharing the process.

Now, you need to build a Fee in the future. I'd love to see this next to the other pusher..... :D

Cheers.

:piliot:

Thank you guys SO much for the warm and generous compliments. I know not everything is perfect and some things I could have done differently but it does make you feel better hearing others like your work. Its not ever necessary for a build, but man it sure tends to give a boost to them.

Yeah Wolf, I like K1 have been contemplating some sort of grass base, and personally I think I may see about investing in one of the ones like DrDave is using on some of his builds (thanks for the heads up on those Dave, they look a treat and will likely work under any WWI build it seems).

Thanks again guys and cheers!

• 1 year later...

Thanks Andrew!   I know its been a long time on since this one got posted, but having not entered it into any IPMS shows since I built it; until this year, I thought Id do a little "self horn tooting" as though I thought the DH-2 turned out well, the response from the judges from its one and only IMPS show was VERY welcome, and quite unexpected........

Here she was at the 2014 Des Moines "Surgicon 20" in Des Moines IA:

DSC02808.jpg

The little DH-2 took best overall air-craft at the show in any scale, (Tom Bly Best Aircraft Award), the judges favorite model at the show, regardless of scale or type (Gil Wheeler Memorial Judges Grand Award):

DSC02806.jpg

The DH-2 also claimed the best WWI subject at the show, also regardless of type or scale:

DSC02807.jpg

Thanks to all in the past who follow and commented,

Cheers!

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Well done and so very well earned. Following your build from day one through the Ready for Inspection photos, I was always 'blown away' by the build and finish. Congradulations on the awards ; as it is so refreshing to see quality work recognized and rewarded.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Peter

I am glad you told me abouit the weakness of the fuselage framing. I have a personal prblem,. I am a ham fisteed klutz. With a model that fragile I woiuld b reak it as soon as I finished it. I ust am not capable ot a dellicalte topugh. I've been that way all my life.   So, what to do? What to do?

Well, discard this nonsense of using styrene plastic. Too inherently weak. Possibilities:

1) I can draw it in AutoCAD and then have the entire sides cut (laser cut, waterjet cut, whatever) out of a sheet of aluminum, copper, even steel. Then attach the wings and the tub to the metal somehow.

That laser cutting is pretty expensive so unless I can buy my own laser cutter I might just silver solder or braze stiff copper or bronze or aluminum or steel wire together to form the frame. Which is more likely the way I will do it.
Next, I will have to think of a way to permanently attach the plastic parts to the metal.

Another way will be to have the framing made in one piece through 3-D printing. I am learning Autodesk Inventor now and as exercises I'll draw the framing in 3-D on the computer. Then I'll have the input file with which the 3-D printer can make the part.

Then again, the prices of the new 3-D printers are coming down so maybe I can buy my own? [Yeah, sure, dream on, child].

Should be interesting.

Stephen

It will be an interesting challenge. I look forward to it.

Stephen

• 2 years later...

Very nice model Brian. I already "liked" it before, but just noticed i never put any comment.

Just started the kit myself. I remembered this one being an example to follow, so i had to watch it again. :)

Very, very good !

it just makes me think you should build more WW1 subject ! :)

Very nice model Brian. I already "liked" it before, but just noticed i never put any comment.

Just started the kit myself. I remembered this one being an example to follow, so i had to watch it again. :)

Very, very good !

it just makes me think you should build more WW1 subject ! :)

Thanks Nicolas!  I agree!  Its just that Ive been doing so many commission builds lately, it just feels good to be building something that I dont have to give up at the end. Ive been concentrating on a line up of model entries for certain categories for the IPMS US NATs in 2017, that I currently dont have any models to enter in, like Diorama class, civilian, and rotor blade/helo.

Ive got the little Icaero-design Extra 300 going (Stalled atm) and now have a diorama on the bench as well.

I WILL be getting back to some WnW stuff though for SURE!