Polish Mustang III

CANicoll

Hi all , I'm building Tamiya's 1/48 Mustang III, using the Techmod sheet 48033 for the Polish squadron, markings for Wing Commander Jan Zumbach's JZ HB868 aircraft from August 1944.  I used this same sheet for Capt Bohdan Arct's aircraft and really liked how the plane looked and how well the decals worked.

Started with preshading the panel lines, hitting the tires, and then onto the cockpit.

Z%20Mustang%20A_zpsxjr5jr1v.jpg

Quick coat of paint on the IP and cockpit. Fuel tank is hand painted to give it a bit more texture.  Hardly any of this will be seen, sadly, but I know its there.   :mental:  But we all do this, don't we?  The center of the instrument panel has a coat of gloss to prep for the instrument decal.  The IP is a dark grey, instead of black, to add some contrast to the cockpit.

Z%20Mustang%20B_zpsnswsjku8.jpg

Closer look with the decal in place.

Z%20Mustang%20C_zpsxcd5usxw.jpg

The cockpit is painted using MM acrylics, which I usually use.  RAF Interior Green, Flory Black wash and Dark Green acryl for some highlights. Using the wash on flat paints lends more of a dirty look that I like in an aircraft that gets used as hard as the Polish squadron planes did.  Debating on using the pilot figure.  I'm using the Malcom Hood which only comes in the 'closed' option, so nearly all of this will be hidden.  But we already went over that point...

Z%20Mustang%20D_zps4bu2nkdk.jpg

Control column is painted interior green - again to add some color highlights to the cockpit.  Silver and graphite Prismacolor pencils were used to simulate wear.

Z%20Mustang%20E_zpsekaf6csv.jpg

More later!

Edited by CANicoll

Made some progress today, getting the fuselage closed up after doing some weathering of the cockpit and working on the wheel well and landing gear doors.

I probably should not admit this, but weathering the doors actually came about by accident.  I had painted the doors flat aluminum (among other parts also painted), and next up was the interior green for the wheel well.  I had loaded a bit too much green paint, and looking at the main doors I thought I would try painting the sides green.

X%20Mustang%20A_zpsvx9kh3tz.jpg

Here is where the accident happened.  I used a Post-it Note to edge the line of the center panel.  When I lifted it, I had inadvertently lifted some of the green paint. Hmmmm.. I kept at it and liked the effect so here it is!  Have not used a wash on it yet.

X%20Mustang%20B_zpsjfpp7ut5.jpg

Ditto with the wheel well and again, silver is Prismacolor.

As expected, can't see a lot with the fuselage closed up, and less once the canopy is put in place.  Still thinking of putting a pilot in.

X%20Mustang%20C_zpsfvdvasqk.jpg

X%20Mustang%20D_zpsqkp1s7js.jpg

Looks overdone in the pictures, but not so bad in 1/48 scale.

More later, thanks for the comments!