1/48 Tamiya Mustang III

CANicoll

Build of a Tamiya kit, this time the 1/48 Mustang III kit paired with the Techmod decal sheet. A great subject matter that doesn't get a lot of attention in the bigger kits.    The Mustang III's were very interesting in their camo and markings.

MustangIII2_zps37eac27a.jpg

MustangIII3_zps9f716bf7.jpg

MustangIII1_zps7e30f23c.jpg

Exhaust_zps1394e43b.jpg

Edited by CANicoll

Another lovely build, Chris! I have this one in the stash too, though I plan to turn it into "Princess Elizabeth".

Kev

Kev,

Ohh, that is a good one but I wanted one with the Malcom Hood.  I started looking around for another kit to put in the stash as they are really fun builds.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing your WIP soon!

Chris

Actually, there's a thought - I never bothered to check if my kit has the correct style of hood in it! Better sort that out, I guess...

Kev

The pics I've seen of the Princess only show the normal hinged but there has to be a Malcom Hood plane somewhere to do if that is what you wanted.  I liked the British camo outline and had a set of the old masks from Cutting Edge I used.  They were great.

Thanks Chris. I'm planning the build in honour of my wife, so there's a specific reason to do "Princess Elizabeth". I have the decals already. I'm planning to do it in 1/32 as well, but without a decent kit or ready-made decals, it'll be a lot more work.

Kev

Kev, Very nice for your wife.  I named a B-17 I did after mine.  Not sure she thought it was much of an honor tho (maybe it was the accompanying nose art...)

Hollys%20folly_zps38j7ezte.jpg

The B/C cockpit, ugh.  I can't imagine how to do that on a 1/32 kit.  But if I could find a 1/32 B/C/Mustang III I'd scoop it up in an instant!

Good luck!

Kev, Very nice for your wife.  I named a B-17 I did after mine.  Not sure she thought it was much of an honor tho (maybe it was the accompanying nose art...)

Hollys%20folly_zps38j7ezte.jpg

The B/C cockpit, ugh.  I can't imagine how to do that on a 1/32 kit.  But if I could find a 1/32 B/C/Mustang III I'd scoop it up in an instant!

Good luck!

Kev,

Are you going to use the Trumpeter 1/32 Mustang B/C/Mustang III kit?  I just found that kit online and that kit does have the Malcom hood included.  

In my closet I have the Dragon 1/32 P-51D kit that I have not started yet.  Inside I found a set of the Pyn-Up decals from Cutting Edge I had also bought years ago.

Have you built either the Trumpeter or Dragon 1/32 Mustang kits?  If so, how are they to build?

Thx!

Chris

Kev,

Are you going to use the Trumpeter 1/32 Mustang B/C/Mustang III kit?  I just found that kit online and that kit does have the Malcom hood included.  

In my closet I have the Dragon 1/32 P-51D kit that I have not started yet.  Inside I found a set of the Pyn-Up decals from Cutting Edge I had also bought years ago.

Have you built either the Trumpeter or Dragon 1/32 Mustang kits?  If so, how are they to build?

Thx!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have an example of each of the Trumpeter and Revell B/C kits, but I'm still not sure which one I'll use for "Princess Elizabeth". Possibly the Trumpeter kit, since it'll just be a decal carrier, and needs less work overall than the Revell kit.

I haven't built a Mustang in 32nd scale since I was a kid, and that was the Revell P-51B kit, ironically (the one with the "Shangri-La" box art, IIRC). I've got a Dragon kit in the stash (thanks, Karim!), but haven't built it yet. I've also got a Tamiya kit and a couple of Hasegawa builder's kits somewhere (thanks Mark!), so I really should get on and build them some day! Seeing what so many of the guys here do with these kits is a bit intimidating, though.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...