Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1 Corsair Birdcage

Coming along very nicely indeed Spyros! The engine looks great and you'll find that the BarracudaCast ignition ring is the correct style for the early Corsair. Tamiya supplies the later type not typically used on the Birdcage.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf!

To be honest I was planning to build the engine OTB.

But I was unable to drill the holes into the ignition harness. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't centre them properly.  :frantic:

I managed to drill the holes into the crank cases but if you look closely some are off-centred.  :doh:

I really hope the Barracuda set will make life easier. 

Very nicely done so far. How did you go about masking and painting the black induction pipes on the backside of the engine? Which colour went on first- the Gloss gray or the Gloss Black??

-d-

Thanks David!

I painted the induction pipes first but in jet exhaust not gloss black.

Then I had to mask each pipe separately before spraying the centre with gray.

I followed the same procedure for each engine part i.e. spray the parts protruding from the centre first, mask and spray the centre in the end.

• 1 month later...

Hello all! Been some time since I had an update on the build.

Reason is I managed to mess up the outer wing sections but managed to track down replacement parts on ebay.

So the Corsair will be back on the bench soon!

I was also a bit busy with a group build and will upload progress pics of that here soon!

I did manage to finish the engine and propeller. The colour of the propeller was one of the reasons I chose this scheme as it provides an additional colour variation on top of the aircraft camouflage.

So here's some pics of the finished engine and propeller! More updates to come soon!

olmjYc.jpg

6FtnZX.jpg

meUzFJ.jpg

ezwj3N.jpg

T6hbYu.jpg

jsZom4.jpg

Thanks for checking!

Edited by spyrosjzmichos

Spyros,

I'm really impressed with the detail painting and ignition wiring. And the prop with the yellow hub really helps to add a little color to it. is that the Baracuda Ignition ring? It sure looks sweet. I have both the Birdcage and the -1A in my stash, and if it's an AM part, I need to order a few. 

Joel

Guest Peterpools

S[yros

Terrific progress on the Big bent Wing Bird. Prop and engine look great

Keep 'em coming

Peter