Old Revell Me 109G

imatt88

I just picked up an old Lone Eagles edition of the 1/32nd 109G for dirt cheap on eBay

I know you guys are going to laugh, but can any accurate 109 be made from this kit?

I thought I saw a build thread here on how to improve the kit.

Cheers, Ian

I think the tooling was circa 1969 and based on picture cards from bubble gum packs. Not Revell's finest. It would look quite good chopped up into a caricature of the Bf 109G, not an eggplane but like those Meng tanks.

Tony

You guys simply do not know all the facts. Revell's 1/32 Me109 is a highly accurate model of the Me-109 as produced for the Vulgarian Air Force. Revell had excellent plans of the Nazi plane but one of the Vulgarian agents snuck in and substituted the plans of the Vulgarian version and stole the real plans.

Why? It was a good way of getting the real plans of the Nazi 109. Also was a good training mission for our young agents and operatives. Worked pretty good, right?

Yrs trly,

Kleinschmitte von Shtinkfinger

Director, Vulgarian Secret Service. :ninja:

Brian Cauchi did do one of these, many years ago. IIRC, he laid the fuse on a plan, and found one needs to move the fuselage aft about 1/4 inch. The cut was at the frame just behind the cockpit. There was a lot more, but .... oh look! a squirrel!

What is it good for? It was amazing to build as a teenager in 1970's in camo with brush paint. You probably don't want to mess up a $100+ plane with a new untried paint technique, but a kit you may not care so much about via AMS would provide a great way to practice.

I also like the idea that it was based upon stolen plans. We lost a prototype of a large system we were developing years ago where I worked. We always joked that the competition stole it and tried to make it, only to fight with the same bugs and design problems we faced for several more years. Maybe we need more "What if?" builds based upon imperfect copies? It didn't stop the filmmakers of Battle of Britain nor The Blue Max when they couldn't get historically accurate Messerschmitts, Fokkers or even Hurricanes.

Tnarg

You guys simply do not know all the facts. Revell's 1/32 Me109 is a highly accurate model of the Me-109 as produced for the Vulgarian Air Force. Revell had excellent plans of the Nazi plane but one of the Vulgarian agents snuck in and substituted the plans of the Vulgarian version and stole the real plans.

Why? It was a good way of getting the real plans of the Nazi 109. Also was a good training mission for our young agents and operatives. Worked pretty good, right?

Yrs trly,

Kleinschmitte von Shtinkfinger

Director, Vulgarian Secret Service. :ninja:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :clap2:

Laughing so hard, I'm crying!!!!

Tnarg, this is not a bad kit. A little tender loving care and it can be made into an accurate kit. You will need some aftermarket sets to address the wheel wells, cockpit, and if you can, get a spare canopy from a Hasegawa 109E. The Hasegawa has two types of canopies, the early rounded version and the later square version. The square version is the one you need. You might be able to adapt the True Details canopy as well. There are Eduard PE sets for this kit, but they are old and Eduard does not make them any longer. But, you can find them on Ebay from time to time. You could fit it with a resin pit as well, and resin exhaust pipes. Finally, there are plenty of resin wheels out there for the landing gear. Time, patience, love, and care, will produce a nice model. Good way to cut your teeth or hone your skills in scribing, PE work, and resin work.  One only has to look at Kev's Revell Zero to see what can be done with these older Revell kits, along with Bill S and Shawn's work on them as well!  I have a couple of these kits and plan to build them for sure.  :)

:tumble:

This old clunker can be "improved", but really is not worth the effort. I tried to several times long ago, and tossed the kits in favor of Hasegawa's 109G kits.

The biggest exterior problem is the wing tops which have huge bulges to accommodate the toy retractable landing gear. The underside must be back-filled before grinding it off because you will grind right through it. And then the quite fine surface detail needs to be reinstated (no small feat replicating what's there). The main wheel wells' outlines are oversize, so no aftermarket wells or parts will fit without first correcting the openings. 

Assuming you actually accomplish all of that, next up: The poorly represented prop & spinner will need to be reworked or replaced. The fuselage is too short by about 1/4" overall (no specific short area - the whole length is truncated). The vertical and horizontal stabilizers are misshapen, as are the rudder and elevators. The radiator scoops under the wing are clunky. The whole kit's features and detailing represent a mixture of E, F and G variants. The list of corrections just goes on and on and on.

If purchased "dirt cheap" (and there is good reason for the kit selling in that price range), maybe just ignore the problems and build it for fun? The other reasonable alternative is to replace it with a Hasegawa kit. Shop around because I've paid as little as $10 for Hasegawa '109G kits. 

HTH,

D