Decal problems.

crowe04

I recently acquired the old Matchbox 1/32 Puma helicopter kit, a great model but obviously due to its age the decals are pretty much unusable. The main issue with them (apart from the yellowing) is the protective waxed paper is stuck to the entire sheet. I was hoping to somehow remove the waxed paper, scan the decals and reprint them on decal paper after a bit of photoshop work. Does anyone have any clues as to how the waxed paper can be safely removed without damaging the decals? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wasn't there a thing where you could put a warm damp cloth over the decal, and let it sit for a while?  Then when the cover paper softened a bit from the warm and damp, it came off? I thought I remember reading that some where a LONG time ago.....

There are Puma decals available for French Army & Air Force machines, made by FFSMC.

Search for decals for 1/32 SA 330 Puma on e-bay.

Tony

p.s. this is a UK link to this item...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FFSMC-Productions-Decals-1-32-Puma-SA330-AS332-PUMA-AdA-Army-of-theAir-/302221142383?hash=item465dc8a96f:g:WNkAAOSwYmZXKhG7

edited to add link

Edited by Tony T

The paper became stuck due to the atmospherics of temperature

and moisture over time, so it should take something similar to remove

it. If you can direct some steam in a relatively small stream and do

small areas at a time, you might steam it off. I have 'not' done this

myself so this is merely a suggestion.

Have fun :hi:

I will have to try the lighter fluid solution when I find my Matchbox kits in the stash.

Back in the '70's when I was collecting old postcards we used to dissolve the adhesives from old pieces of tape using Ronson lighter fluid. 

This stuff came in a yellow container, still does as a matter of fact. Often the tape would come off in a few seconds but once the tape had discolored the paper that was permanent.

Never use Zippo fluid as that often stains.