Airfix 1/24 Hurricane.

mikeew

Hi everyone,

I built the classic Airfix 1/24 Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 earlier this year. Its more or less OOB, i added some details to the engine to busy it upa bit as the Merlin is a bit plain and basic OOB. I also added a seat pad from milliput and some seat straps from foil. I really enjoyed building this one. (I've got the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire mk.1a to do as well in the near future.)

I hope you enjoy the pics :ph34r:

Regards, Mike.

post-4-1095717231.jpg

Undercarriage showing brake line that I replaced with copper wire as the moulded in kit parts looked awful.

I mounted the tyres into a motor tool and spun them at high speed against 600 grit wet 'n' dry paper to get rid of the seam line in the black rubber and to impart a worn effect.

post-4-1095717899.jpg

Nice work mike, really came out tidily. Did you find the pins/axles to hold the wheels on were a bit too flimsy? When I did the 1/24 hurricane a few years back, I found that I had to replace the axles with aluminium tubing. And now my hurricane has wheels that are slightly skewed, goddammit! Love the wiring you added in the engine too. I plan on doing something similar to a 1/24 mustang when I start it.

Cheers mate,

Ango.

Milke,

I've got all the Airfix 24 th kits build and must say the Stuka comes first and then the Hurricane.

If you intend to build the Spitfire Mk1,and haven't bought it yet.Buy the Mk Vb kit.

You get the Mk1 with a conversionset for the same price.

In that scale it's a beast !!

Very nice work.Love the undercariage ;)

Good pic of the engine.

I hope you don't mind me puting up my Hurricane in your post.but they do look so alike.Well they should.It's the same plane :D

BTW,I've added lights to my model.Looks nice in the dark.

post-4-1095759435.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Ango wrote: Did you find the pins/axles to hold the wheels on were a bit too flimsy? When I did the 1/24 hurricane a few years back, I found that I had to replace the axles with aluminium tubing. And now my hurricane has wheels that are slightly skewed, goddammit!

Ango, I used the kit parts for the undercarriage wheel spindles and they are nice and strong, although i make sure i dont slam it down after handling, i am very aware its a heavy model on flimsy undercarriage.

Erwin wrote: If you intend to build the Spitfire Mk1,and haven't bought it yet.Buy the Mk Vb kit.

You get the Mk1 with a conversionset for the same price.

Erwin, i have already bought the Spitfire Mk.1 , thanks for the advice re: Spitfire Vb anyway.

Nice work on your hurricane too...Have you got any pics of your Hurri in the dark with the lights working? sounds cool! :D

regards,

Mike

Hi,

Full lights on.

I can make all work seperately too. The small wires go into the board by the tailwheel.

Couldn't do the taillight.The rudder is to thin.

Used light from railroad extras.

post-4-1095846379.jpg