Seafire MK 47

Chris/Germany

..and you´re absolutely right! ....and that´s all the cause of Brian Cauchi! :D

I was deeply impressed from the models of the Malta show and also Brians article ´bout his Spit so I decided to start one of those old Matchbox kits to get a little break from this jug detailing ( but she´s still in progress..)

After checking my research-fundus I fell in love with a Spit MK 47.....ok, kit is opened, have a correction set for the MK 22 Matchbox kit from Vasco Barbic but then the desaster started: as you may know all my models have working prop and lights, and this damned late mark Seafire has a contra-rotating double prop...what a challenge!

Could not get away from it and after two days of thinking ´bout the problem and another three days to fix it it´s done, the contra-rotating-double-prop will work!

Here´s a shot of the griffon as an appetizer, next week the Jugs-progress will go on.....

post-4-1082156076.jpg

Hi Chris,

Is this the brird your talking about.

I've often wondered about how two props could rotate in different direction on one axel.

NOW I WILL SEE !!

Lovely thinking and work.

Oeps,nearly forgot :' YOUR MAD AND INSANE !!! '

post-4-1082185025.jpg

Yes Erwin, that´s a MK 47 "Seafire" ( as far as I know a normal MK 24 converted to the Royal Navy´s demands with folded wings, tail-hook and some more) but it´s not exactly the bird I will do ´cause the one on your photo is a "F" model ( photo-reconnaissance), but anyway the paint sheme is right, beautyful bird

Chris

The contra rotating props are like a shaft on a shaft...cant remember front or back but a hollow shaft turns one way while a solid shaft inside turns the other...the gearbox was quite advanced for the age, and very reliable...

And yes your crazy Chris heehee...you could try similar, shaft on shaft...will be harder at scale...

Chris you are really way out!! Will need some private lessons soon. Excellent job. I was always interested in that Matchbox late mark spit. Would love to get my hand son one some day. My spit is soon done hopefully but of course my progress is way behind yours. Are you an engineer by profession? Because that is an excellent engineering feat, neat and in such a restircted space.

Thanx Brian, as said before inspired by your Spit! I´m no professional engineer, that´s why it took me nearly a week to get it work and it´s not the solution I prefered first, like Coolie said a "hollow shaft ( for prop 1) on another shaft ( Prop 2) powered by one motor. Could not find some special parts for such a gear so I decided to take solution 2: two motors, one with a massive shaft in the middle for outer prop , the second motor placed out of the middle-axis, driving the second prop ( hollow-shaft,inner prop) with a small gear. Physically the better solution ´ cause every prop has it´s own motor and so no power is "eaten" by a gear-box.

by the way: how did you make those excellent round access-panels on your Spit´s wing-underside? They look like brass, is that right and how do you apply them? Looks a bit like the technik I use for those aluminium- inlays on my Jugs- build.

cheers

Chris

Hi again Chris, I love your idea just the same even if it isn;t the peak of engineering. Hey my stuff is only static so you go a step further and make it all go round. Brilliant!! The fact that it works satisfactorily is enough. Those round panels are in fact photoetched and form part of the Eduard detail set. My God that is gong to be one hell of a lovely spit you're building. The longer prop maikes it even more streamlined. What an aircraft. Simply magnificent!! I can never build enough of them. Got to get to a 109 one day though! I'm sure it has the same effect as the spit and so does the P51, of which I have two lined up next. By the way I love the way you make those information layouts next to your models. I love the idea so much I am trying to find some time to prepare a few to accompany my models. Another excellent idea which makes the display more meaningful.

a little work on the Seafire continous also, started with the pit and the instrument panel, Although I love those "last-century-kits" because there are enough points for real modelling fun I must say that the Matchbox-construction is the worst I have ever seen: not only this damned construction of fuselage and wings, the pit is very, very basic and finally has....no floor!

ok, that´s modellers life, heres the new instrument panel in progress, modified with small rings cutted from aluminium tubings.....

post-4-1082495955.jpg

Hey Chris, I used to work like you to provide bezels but you can buy (not very expensive) photoetched instrument bezels which will really save on time. They are worth buying when you consider the time you save. I have an assortment of 32nd and 48th scale. Sometimes you need the smaller ones and they are only available in 48th scale. I use reheat.

Thanx for the tip Brian, but all aftermarket stuff is very, very hard to get where I live ( in Germany we say " butt of the world!) no matter if it´s waldron, reheat or anything else and that´s one reason why I like to scratch even instrument panels. Second reason is....i like it! It´s fun and, hey man.... I call myself a modeller so why should there be a part I can´t find a solution to scratch it?

thanx

Chris