Birdcage Corsair the Hard Way!

LSP_Kevin

Nice work Kev. Will this be the subject of a book?

Wow, that's something like breathtaking!

Great pics for the guide book. 

When it will be ready?

:rolleyes:

Sorry, fellas - not this one! I had originally planned to send it in to AIR Modeller, but I honestly don't believe it's good enough any more. I haven't even really been documenting most of the recent steps. I just want to get it off the workbench so I can move on to something less tainted and more enjoyable.

Kev

Looks great Kev!   I like the black basing effect. Works really well on the birdcage

Thanks, Brian. I think by itself, the black-basing creates a slightly odd effect - especially if you're a bit rusty with the airbrush, and can't get a fine-enough mottle effect over the top! Mine turned out a bit pillowy. But it does create a great variegated base coat for further weathering effects, breaks up the monotone look of single blocks of colour quite nicely.

Kev

HI Kev,

That's really looking great.   I'm going to have to look into AK's Worn effects.

Gaz

It's my first time using it, too, and found it difficult to get a nice even layer down with the airbrush, especially over the wing root areas. These were previously sprayed with Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver, so this seems to have contributed to some beading up of the Worn Effects. It's a very thin, watery liquid, and pools and runs very easily. And being clear, you often don't notice until it's too late! Still, it's great for this kind of work, where you're not aiming for a pristine finish anyway.

Kev

I have yet another question for our panel of experts. I've painted the rear sliding portion of the canopy as directed by Montex, which involves leaving the rearmost panes clear, as shown in the photo below:

4BSO0E.jpg

You can also see how uneven the Montex clear resin casting is, but that's another issue entirely! Anyway, I noticed on Miloslav's marvellous build that he just posted, that he painted out those panels. I've seen this in passing on other builds, too. Is this a case of Montex getting it wrong, or more of a some did, some didn't kind of thing? It's not too late for me to correct it, if indeed it needs correcting.

Kev

Kev, check this photo out......

https://www.google.com/search?q=Birdcage+Corsair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimqObm1bLXAhXM5CYKHc_lA8MQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=611#imgrc=xLlfJG-5Djf7EM:

It appears from the photos I see Montex might be wrong........

THOR    :ninja:   

Edited by bdthoresen

Kev, check this photo out......

https://www.google.com/search?q=Birdcage+Corsair&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimqObm1bLXAhXM5CYKHc_lA8MQ_AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=611#imgrc=xLlfJG-5Djf7EM:

It appears from the photos I see Montex might be wrong........

THOR    :ninja:   

Montex may also be right...

file_02.jpg

ANNF4U17.JPG?h=8Ro-VJHZKBf6M14yUqrN8Q