Trumpy's P-51B times two - Dominic Gentile and Ralph Hofer

Thomas Lund

Awesomesauce! Nice little history lesson, too!

Thanks Sparzanza - in the recent years I've been more and more interested in researching and getting it right, backed up with pictures etc. History has always been a big thing for me

Guest Peterpools

Thomas

Nice progress on the Brothers .. looking forward to see the guys with te gear and markings on

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

WOW..

This i Like Alot. .:D

Just love the paint job. preshade its just perfekct, and i am really curious when you take that chipping off :) (i love chipping as you allready know) want to se the result :D im gonna follow this thread for shure :D

/Mal

Thanks guys

Brian - I am very carefull to have fun building. Some years ago I got NOTHING done so I stepped back and noticed what was wrong. Too much AMS = too little fun. So relaxing a bit with the accuracy made it all a whole lot more fun.

Kev - I too dont have an eye for shape issues, I usually say I am blessed not to have it. However if pointed out I can sometimes see it. I'll have to look into the rear window thing now... :-)

Wrench: Funny enough, I plan to do a partial NMF bird one day and Hofer's is on the top of the list (do you guys do lists as well?)

You hit the nail on the head for me.  I have too many builds where I started going nuts trying to figure out all the corrections and never really got to building the thing.

I'm going to do a 15th AF bird with my 51-B....got the Aires replacement wheel wells and cockpit and some exhaust pipes (Moskit or somebody like that).    It'll look good next to my 15th AF B-17G!

And then there's an FW-190A..... :thumbsup:

Tim W.

You hit the nail on the head for me.  I have too many builds where I started going nuts trying to figure out all the corrections and never really got to building the thing.

I'm going to do a 15th AF bird with my 51-B....got the Aires replacement wheel wells and cockpit and some exhaust pipes (Moskit or somebody like that).    It'll look good next to my 15th AF B-17G!

And then there's an FW-190A..... :thumbsup:

Tim W.

It's a fine balance Tim, not too much fussing about, but also enough for one to feel good about what you did...

P-51B next to your B-17G - will be great !! I've skipped the B-17, simply too big for me, but I did get a B-25. I skipped the Aires wheel well in build #2. Not that there is anything wrong with it at all, but I was just dying to move ahead and didn't want to wait for one to arrive. Did fit the Aires cockpit though - would have looked bad with a regular trumpy cockpit in one and Aires in the other.

Ok... I dont like chicken'ing out. So I just had to try to paint those damn chequers.

I found a good way to cut strips of Tamiya tape of a consistent width of 2.3mm. I think that worked out ok.

I painted the area white and applied the first round of strips

006_zps17eba232.jpg

To me this looked as consistent as I could get. So I shot a coat of red paint

009_zpsa527ae3c.jpg

And peeled off the strips before applying the second round. It looks like utter s... What looked consistent was not. Enough variation of the chequer size to make me sure that I could not place the second round and get a good pattern. Also the amount of handling to cut the tape took away some tack, so I apparantly it didn't stay down eveywhere resulting in some bleeding and underspray

114754c6-410f-4e4b-8926-2c14f1d2ccc5_zps

Oh well - I tried. I know I would have been thinking about it every time I looked at if I didn't try. Off to strip this and restore the OD now... After that I need to mix a red to match the decals

Edited by Thomas Lund

Ah, bummer Thomas! Masking and painting a chequered pattern is tricky. I tried it on my Sea Venom wing-tip tanks, and while it worked out OK, they're a bit ropey up close. And took forever to do! Good luck with your second go.

Kev

Kev, I just looked over the chequer part of your Sea Venom and I got an idea on how to do it. I was actually thinking I'd go decal, but I'll give it another try... Thanks... I think :-) But I think I'll try on a piece of spare plastic first