GMC CCKW 2-1/2 Ton Truck

LSP_K2

While playing on the web, looking for GMC related material, I stumbled upon this. I'll need to order one (or more) for some 1:48 projects that I have planned. I read somewhere that GMC, during the war years, made over 40,000 of these trucks (in various configurations), pretty darn amazing.

TM32579-2_zpsdrsjpvpi.jpg

Looks good Kevin. No doubt, the US industrial miracle was a big part of WWII ... my favourite story is about the Willow Run plant in Michigan, which turned out a B-24 per hour - the B-24 had over 1,000,000 parts, and the most complex mass-production job to that point had only 10-15,000!!

Great work on the truck, keep it up!

Cheers

Jim

What a cool project!  The accessories are excellent points of detail and will make for a fun display.  To your comment, strange Tamiya moulded the rifles and carriers together - what a pain but I guess they wanted you to spend your time on something.  The simple interior is nothing like a plane cockpit, huh?  But what will shine are the details you do put in - the gauges and placard.  Sometimes I think the aircraft cockpits are SOO busy you kind of lose sense of all the individual details.  

Will be following this Kev!

Chris

Thanks a bunch, Chris. I'm having a blast with this. One boo boo though, I neglected to trap the tailgate in between the two vertical bed sides. No big deal really though, trimming off one of the tiny hinges, allows for a perfect closed gate fit, something I had intended to do anyway.

2.5%202%20001_zps9lyag4ng.jpg

How about a pair of baby shoes hanging from the RV mirror?  :)

Like what you're doing with this, Kevin.

Cheers,

D.B.

Actually, there's very little that you can't load on these trucks.

All wheels (including the two spares), were coated with a generic gray and the OD.

2.5%203%20001_zpsklyvwnts.jpg

Experimenting on one of the spares, using some pastels. I think it looks acceptable, though I'll still add some washes and dust.

2.5%203%20008_zpsdpxltn4v.jpg

Looking good Kev ! The Venerable Deuce ! The truck that won the war.

Amazing when you really think about the fact that this simple machine in all of its' guises did sooo much, sooo well and one can only imagine the number of men and tons of materials that this very basic mechanical conveyance moved around the world.

Joe

Looking good Kev ! The Venerable Deuce ! The truck that won the war.

Amazing when you really think about the fact that this simple machine in all of its' guises did sooo much, sooo well and one can only imagine the number of men and tons of materials that this very basic mechanical conveyance moved around the world.

Joe

Quite a lot indeed. The boys that drove these trucks, were on the move seven days a week, 24 hours a day, trying to continually feed supplies to the forward units in the push across the continent. (It may be time for me to watch "Red Ball Express" again.)