What else do I need for Revell's 1/32 Bf109G6 RV 04665?

Gazzas

If you want to go truly off the reservation, why not do one of Eino Juutilainen's Gustav's.

Juutilainen's the top non-German ace in Europe (94) and achieved the majority of his kills on the G-6. He also flew the most famous Finnish 109, MT-422. I'd suggest doing MT-457 though, as that was the aircraft he acheived 6 kills in one day on.

This could be a bad statement to make in this environment but, I care less about the accuracy of most (ok, all) of my builds than I do about the fit and assembly, I understand the sentiments modellers have for a desire for accuracy but it isn't part of my building priorities. Although having said that there are certain projects I'll go to the Nth degree to correct but, more for my own interest than to have an entirely accurate kit of a given subject at a given point in time. Mostly I buy aftermarket parts because I like the work and effort the manufacturer put into a product to offer us an improvement (possibly perceived, in accuracy or finess) I have with that intent in mind bought some improvement parts for the Revell (RIP) 109G6 and some parts for HK models B17 E/F in the hopes of building the image on the cover of “A Higher Call†but I won't attempt to improve the 109's or 17's accuracy.

As a brief aside, the landing gear on Revells Spitfire does need replacement, as, built out of the ox will not support the weight of the model. It has a weird assembly breakdown that causes an inherent weakness.

Just my rambling thoughts

Eagle Editions has marking for Alfred Surau's machine, but you will need a set of gun pods...

26595047587_a23d8de313_b.jpg

39658204550_43ac6aba92_o.png

Surau's machine does have some cool markings.  But I really want to avoid gun pods on this occasion.  I really prefer a clean fighter.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Gaz, you never know Tamiya may produce a G6 in 1/32..........be a good rumour to start.........get behind me devil......

Just read Macky Steinhoff's book how about him?

I read Steinhoff's book Messerschmitts over Sicily.  Of all the Luftwaffe books I've ever read, it had to be the most depressing.   I've noticed a fair amount of profiles for him on the web.  Thank you for the suggestion.

If you want to go truly off the reservation, why not do one of Eino Juutilainen's Gustav's.

Juutilainen's the top non-German ace in Europe (94) and achieved the majority of his kills on the G-6. He also flew the most famous Finnish 109, MT-422. I'd suggest doing MT-457 though, as that was the aircraft he acheived 6 kills in one day on.

There were some great Finnish pilots in the war very worthy of memorializing.  Thank you for the suggestion.

This could be a bad statement to make in this environment but, I care less about the accuracy of most (ok, all) of my builds than I do about the fit and assembly, I understand the sentiments modellers have for a desire for accuracy but it isn't part of my building priorities. Although having said that there are certain projects I'll go to the Nth degree to correct but, more for my own interest than to have an entirely accurate kit of a given subject at a given point in time. Mostly I buy aftermarket parts because I like the work and effort the manufacturer put into a product to offer us an improvement (possibly perceived, in accuracy or finess) I have with that intent in mind bought some improvement parts for the Revell (RIP) 109G6 and some parts for HK models B17 E/F in the hopes of building the image on the cover of “A Higher Call†but I won't attempt to improve the 109's or 17's accuracy.

As a brief aside, the landing gear on Revells Spitfire does need replacement, as, built out of the ox will not support the weight of the model. It has a weird assembly breakdown that causes an inherent weakness.

Just my rambling thoughts

I'm not a guy to whip out the tape measure unless I don't trust my eyes.  I've looked at a lot of WWI and WWII aircraft, and can generally tell if something is wrong.  Generally.  I decided to splurge on this occasion and go whole hog with the AM.  I'm not afraid to whip out the abrasive and remove all of the detail from canvas covered surfaces if I think they're overdone.

Gotta keep it fun even if I'm occasionally cursing, pissing, and moaning.

Gaz

Start the build already......  Jeepers, one can go ape with AM. Like I did with the HKM 1/32 B-17. AM was more than the kit.

The kit an the AM are in the mail, mate.  Can't start before they get here.

Besides...  I'm already in-progress with two other 109's, a Ki-61, and a Valentine.

...and the WWI jones is kicking in.

Gaz

Gaz, pilot suggestion for you. How about Alfred Grislawski and his JG50 machine? All white tail, Knights Cross and victories on the rudder, worn and probably polished all over so an opportunity to use a glossier finish than usual and EagleCals (32-37) are available? Profiles show it with cannon pods, but the original brief of JG50 was Mosquito chasing, so you could argue pods would be removed for that...

Padraic 

Gaz, pilot suggestion for you. How about Alfred Grislawski and his JG50 machine? All white tail, Knights Cross and victories on the rudder, worn and probably polished all over so an opportunity to use a glossier finish than usual and EagleCals (32-37) are available? Profiles show it with cannon pods, but the original brief of JG50 was Mosquito chasing, so you could argue pods would be removed for that...

Padraic 

Nice idea and scheme.  AFAIK, the gun pods came installed from the factory and weren't made to be popped on and off as desired.  I've spent a lot of time searching for any kind of evidence that they were removed.  The pilots hated them, but they were still stuck with them.  Also, I already have another kit dedicated to Grislawski deep in my stash.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Don't forget a P-51 to shoot it down.

Imagine if every thread about a build had a response of (and 'insert enemy plane here' to shoot it down) in it.  Wouldn't that be great?

Gaz

Hey Gaz,  Looking forward to your G-6!  I bought the Revell G-6 just to use the wings on the G-10 Erla build so I'll have to get around to building it one of these days.  I thought the Revell G-10 forward cowling was a bit anemic looking so I opted for the AMUR Reaver G-10 cowling, which looked great.  They also have a G-6 cowling and prop that might interest you, unless you've already topped out on the AM stuff.

ALM_6343.jpg

ALM_6339.jpg

Gun pods could be removed. Planes had indeed to have factory prepared wings for two simple reasons: room for the ammo containers and service panels. However, this does not mean that the gunpods were not removable. The best proof is the fact there are pictures of a single plane with and without them. I am wondering if this was not the case of the Graf red tulip nose G6 (gunpods or rockets).

Hey Gaz,  Looking forward to your G-6!  I bought the Revell G-6 just to use the wings on the G-10 Erla build so I'll have to get around to building it one of these days.  I thought the Revell G-10 forward cowling was a bit anemic looking so I opted for the AMUR Reaver G-10 cowling, which looked great.  They also have a G-6 cowling and prop that might interest you, unless you've already topped out on the AM stuff.

ALM_6343.jpg

ALM_6339.jpg

John,

That cowling and prop look really nice.  I'm gonna wait till I have the kit and a little more dosh before before I go further in the AM.  Thanks for the recommendation.

I see no mention of Master machine gun barrels, but they're something to seriously consider as well.

I already have them and the Pitot tube.  I accidentally bought them in 1/32 when I wanted 1/48.  I know...silly, eh?

Gun pods could be removed. Planes had indeed to have factory prepared wings for two simple reasons: room for the ammo containers and service panels. However, this does not mean that the gunpods were not removable. The best proof is the fact there are pictures of a single plane with and without them. I am wondering if this was not the case of the Graf red tulip nose G6 (gunpods or rockets).

To me it would seem sensible to build them with an easy on-and-off feature.  I just haven't been able to find any evidence that they were removed and then the hole(s) faired over for other missions.  The rockets were fitted with explosive bolts I've read for quick release in need.  I'd really love to see some original manuals on this stuff.

Go with Quickboost resin guns, they look great when they're painted and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at half the cost.

I already have brass guns(bought by mistake), but thank you for the recommendation.

Gaz

Interesting debate about the gun pods - thanks to Thierry for his input. Jerry Crandall describes how Grislawki's machine could be built with either gun pods or the rocket tubes. So they must have been exchangeable?

Anyway, not trying to hijack your thread Gaz. But the info might help if you are already contemplating this scheme?

Back on track, Ungar's 8./JG54 machine Yellow 6 has also got potential? Blue RVD band, grinning devil on the cowl, yellow rudder & undercowl with that great big Grunherz too? No pods either. What's not to like ;) . EagleCal 41-32.

Padraic