CyberHobby (Dragon) Bf109E4

DougN

I picked this kit up at the LHS on Saturday, and decided to get started on it right away!

Having already build an Eduard 109E1, I was curious as to how they compared. Overall, my impression is that the Eduard kit has finer details, whereas the CHD (CyberHobby/Dragon)kit has more "robust" detail. It reminds me of the difference between 1/48 Hasegawa and Tamiya kits (with the Eduard being Hasegawa and the CHD being Tamiya). So far, parts fit is very good (once you can determine where the parts go with the crappy instructions!).

First, overall impressions:

The CHD kit as the little hook on the top of the aerial mast (+1 for CHD!!)

The CHD kit does not have the nice, subtle rivets that the Eduard kit has (I like the rivets, so +1 for Eduard)

The CHD kit has you assemble the nose cowl around the engine, so you must include almost all the parts even if everything will be closed - it will be interesting to see how this is going to work!

The CHD instrument panel is nice, but they really should have provided decals for the instruments. I will end up sourcing these elsewhere (I have a spare AIMS instrument decal sheet), as I really don't want to paint them.

My only complaint so far - not sure what this is going on with the back of this seat (seen next to the green plastic Eduard seat for comparison) - aftermarket opportunity for sure!

DSCN0489.jpg

Comparing fuselage lengths, it's hard to compare the overall length due to the way all the nose bits must be assembled for either kit. The CHD is 2mm shorter in the tail section (between the rear of the canopy and rudder attachment point) and the cockpit to firewall section is the same length. The Eduard fuselage is deeper than the CDH however.

Fuselage aligned at the top and the rear of the cockpit canopy (Eduard is in green plastic):

DSCN0492.jpg

DSCN0491.jpg

Detail showing the length difference:

DSCN0490.jpg

Canopies: the windscreen on the CHD kit is shorter (the rear and center canopies are the same length) however the top of the CHD canopy is a bit wider than the Eduard canopy (and the base is just a smidge wider - it looks like more because one is closer to the camera):

Eduard on top:

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0503.jpg

Eduard on bottom:

DSCN0502.jpg

The gun breech covers are the same length on both kits (+1 to CHD for molding the part as one rather than 3 parts that Eduard did), however, the CHD "u-shaped" front section of this part is not as long, although the rear section is longer than the Eduard kit, ending up with them being the same length. The CHD cowling is 1.5mm longer than the Eduard cowl (if you do not count the small "lip" on the rear of the Eduard cowl that is supposed to go under the section behind the cowl).

Gun breech cover (aligned at the rear):

DSCN0497.jpg

Cowl (aligned at the rear):

DSCN0496.jpg

More to follow!

Cheers,

Doug

Looking good, Doug! I am working on a review of the DML kit this week, and a comparison of all 5 manufacturers next week, so keep your eyes open!

My initial thoughts on DML vs Eduard are very similar to your own. I have yet to pull out the scale drawings to see which is more accurate, though. I am impressed by DML's cockpit, but for that seat and what to do with the IP - will probably just add decals like you as it would be a shame to lose the raised detail. I am impressed with Dragon's detailed painting instructions as well as the small stencils and plaques for the interior; seems strange they did not also provide instrument decals!

Looks very interesting so far.

So exactly how wide is the top of the canopy supposed to be then?

I am working on a review of the DML kit this week, and a comparison of all 5 manufacturers next week, so keep your eyes open!

I certainly will be.

I am working on a review of the DML kit this week, and a comparison of all 5 manufacturers next week, so keep your eyes open!

Concerning dimensions and outlines, from my side i'm just curious to see a comparison with the Matchbox' one.

TIA

Raf :speak_cool:

nice one Doug

another +1 to DML is the machine gun holes in the cowling appear more "angled" than on the Eduard kit, which is as they are on the real thing

i am surprised (and disappointed) though about the lack of rivet detail: Eduard's is way too soft but at least it acts as a ready-made stencil if you want to go down the self-rivetting road...

cheers

nick

Looks nice in parts so far.

One thing I do applaud is that a manufacturer has finally produced a realistic chain for the trim/radiator flap wheels - that alone makes a big difference.

I'd like one, but my main 109E purchases have been made from the Eduard stable.

Matt

Thanks for the comments! I am glad you've enjoyed what I hope has been an objective comparison of the two "leading" 109 kits (at least in my stash) :)

Ray - I'm looking forward to your comparison of all 5 kits! I just have a bunch of Eduard kits to compare it to, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it stacks up. I also agree the placard decals are nice, but I hope you're joking about the "detailed painting instructions" - they are almost as good as the detailed part placement instructions! ;)

Nick, the holes in the cowl are nice, but I'm going to have to subtract at least 1 point as CHD did not provide the tubes with the angled ends that go over the ends of the machine guns (which are also quite nice) and butt up to the holes in the cowl. I also need to decide if I want to run my Rivet-R over the kit using the Eduard kit as a guide or not (probably not) as I do quite like subtle rivets on 1/32 models.

Sorry no photos today as I just assembled all the engine bay components and painted them black (since my cowl will be closed). Got the cockpit painted RLM 66 and will start painting the other detail colors tomorrow and shoot a few photos for you all. Fit of the engine bits was also excellent.

So far a stress-free build, but I fear that is about to change as I must commit to a paint scheme now so I can paint the assorted cowl and oil radiator bits that must be assembled around the engine. Looking around and through several references, I can't seem to find a scheme I want to do! So, if you have any suggestions (except for Galland's bird, which I will build as my second CHD kit) please offer them up (and if you know where I can get the markings, let me know)!!

Cheers,

Doug

I can't seem to find a scheme I want to do! So, if you have any suggestions (except for Galland's bird, which I will build as my second CHD kit) please offer them up (and if you know where I can get the markings, let me know)!!

Cheers,

Doug

I like any of these. From Histoire & Collections, ME-109, Volume One.

Bf1091.jpgBf1092.jpg