P-51D-5-NA "Jan" QP-D

xmh53wrench

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Nice progress on completing the sub assemblies. Thanks for posting the photo of all the scales, as it really drives home the point of how big 1/24th scale really is.

Keep 'em coming

I'm with Kev & Peter, those four fuselage laid out like that really do make the various scales visual to the eye. Perhaps you should publish a poster of it for display in LHS and for us too, thinking about it. How many times have you told some one what the scale is of something you're building when asked ? You just know they still have no idea, BUT with this ..... Ta Dah!!

Maybe some of the LSP kits bought by family or girlfriends with good intentions but in error for smaller scale builders or the very occassional builder will stop and leave more for us ! Ah, one can dream.

Grant.

Thanks everybody!!!

I was really amazed at how small that 1/72 is, major props for those guys out there that gussie that scale up. That little Seminar kit is pretty impressive on the moulding, and detail, hell the things got both the Calif and Dallas canopy, early vert stab with extra parts to add the fillet, and both styles of drop tanks. But alas, BIG is the only way to go!! There is nothing like these big 1/24 jobbies on the shelf.....

I cant wait till I get all my big girls built (currently 1 done, 3 in prog, and 6 more in the stash :m0152: )....and I could easily add at least 4 more with what subjects I would love to build. Nothing better than an XLSP.....well almost.....

I did manage to sneak this build into a GB over at ARC, and did a banner that you guys might have an appreciation for.......but I still love it over here best Kev!!!

ARCGB20131.jpg

Thanks again for looking in guys, means alot, nothing else to report except, a whole bunch of putty dust from Precious Metal tonight.......cough-hack-cough

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was this completed? Thanks

Nope....not yet, but I'm back on if for a bit.  Yup cabin fever has set in, time for a nice dose of Styrene-Stang..... :whistle:

Trying to figure out where I left off, but in the mean time, shot some paint on the paper tanks (few coats of Ace Hardware 17006 Chrome Aluminum followed with a coat of Testors 1200 Dullcoat)  I really like the soft matte silver this delivers.  Then attached the top wing panels to the fuselage sides and a dry fit of the engine cradle and wheel wells.......more to come.....

CAM02121_zps5ec2e72f.jpg

CAM02125_zpse2e9344d.jpg

CAM02127_zpsed6c54e1.jpg

PS....does anybody out there know when paper tanks were introduced into combat for the Mustang?  This bird is going to be circ June/July 1944.

Well a bit more done tonight, plugging away at the cockpit sides, painted up the Airfix oil tank and sub assemblied the craddle and firewall.  I also did a bit of paint work on the paper tanks.  Another night or two and I should be able to close up the fuselage.....

CAM02130_zpsa5df24a3.jpg

Welcome back Lou! Great work mate.

Kev

Thank you Kevin, its great to be back working on a model...Ive missed it tremendously.  Let me know if you need anything done in particular with the GBs.  I am hoping to be around long enough to finish this girl, then it will probably be back on the 1:1 roadster again.  You still have the greatest site, with the greatest membership on the net, in my opinion!!!!

Guest Peterpools

Lou

Glad to see your back at the bench and building Mustangs again. Can;t wait to see this 'Stang working her way through the shop and towards the hanger door.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

PS....does anybody out there know when paper tanks were introduced into combat for the Mustang?  This bird is going to be circ June/July 1944.

I believe (read somewhere) it was mid May 1944 for P-51s,

Sept  '43 for P-47s.

I believe (read somewhere) it was mid May 1944 for P-51s,

Sept  '43 for P-47s.

Thanks a heap Mike.  I had a feeling it was before D-Day, so thats good enough for me.  Might have a bit more to show by the end of tonight, busy painting up all the flight surfaces  and gear doors with the Ace Chrome Aluminum paint so they will have a NMF finish compared to the silver paste painted wings.