Turnbuckles

Two questions.

First, I see reference to using Albion Alloys 0.5mm brass or nickel silver tube. Is there any reason for not using aluminium tube of the same internal/external dimensions? Maybe it would crush to easily?

Second, can anyone recommend a good source in the UK for 0.1mm or similar Ultra wire for making the eyelets?

Many thanks

Simon

I've bought from Norldland models some special metallic wire which is more stiff and strong than copper wire, and it is really a good material to make eyelets. You just have to make a loop around a small diameter rod (about 0.5 to 0.8), hold both extremeties with pliers and spin the rod for some turns and you have a perfect eyelet in a few seconds.

0.1 or 0.2mm copper wire may not like the operation and break quite easily.

http://www.nordlandmodels.com/product/no-48001-extra-fine-wire-for-turnbuckles-eylets:17394/

http://www.nordlandmodels.com/product/no-32001-fine-wire-for-turnbuckles-eylets:15621/

Edited by Zero77

Thanks TonyT, the Orvis item looks interesting as they do that in silver. I have e-mailed them because they don't give a size in mm and I wonder how much postage they would put on a reel? I think I need 0.125mm to fit a 0.3mm bore tube. I wonder if they sell Rio Slikshooter line. I think the 35lb variety may be about right for rafwire!

Thanks TonyT, the Orvis item looks interesting as they do that in silver. I have e-mailed them because they don't give a size in mm and I wonder how much postage they would put on a reel? I think I need 0.125mm to fit a 0.3mm bore tube. I wonder if they sell Rio Slikshooter line. I think the 35lb variety may be about right for rafwire!

Well it turns out that the Orvis X-Small Ultra wire is 0.11mm and the small is 0.16mm. So the first will rattle and the second won't go into a 0.3mm bore tube!!  Maybe the 0.11mm would be okay? Right colour for sure - which is why I'm not so sure about the Troutcatchers as that's copper but is 0.125 mm. Might be better to accept a dab of of paint?

I was looking at photos of the RAF Museum Hind and the turnbuckles are essentially the same same size as the rigging wire so you have to be really careful not to end up with over large wire ends. Maybe 1/48th Gas Patch for a 1/32nd airframe is the way forward? The RAF late type are probably best as they include that bit of airframe to attach to the fuselage. More questions than answers!!

The Gaspatch RAF late type look very good, but are a pain to glue the wire on it as the end is not hollow. So the only way is either to drill them (almost impossible in my opinion as the material is pretty hard and the diameter is too small) or to butt glue the wire on the turnbuckle, but that's really not easy. I tried, and i went for micro tube + wire eyelets.

The Gaspatch RAF late type look very good, but are a pain to glue the wire on it as the end is not hollow. So the only way is either to drill them (almost impossible in my opinion as the material is pretty hard and the diameter is too small) or to butt glue the wire on the turnbuckle, but that's really not easy. I tried, and i went for micro tube + wire eyelets.

Well I think the answer there is to slide a piece of tube over the circular section of the GP fitting then to glue the rigging wire into the tube. Still not happy about the rafwire options though!

Good idea !

For the RAF streamlined wire, there is some flatter EZ line, or some nice flat PE wires from RB.

Could you recommend a particular EZ Line please?

I ordered some 0.11mm Ultra wire last night - the postage is more than the wire!!

I recently took apart a coaxial cable and used the metal sheathing. You may want to look at electronic wiring as a direction.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion Mark, is that to make the turnbuckle ends instead of Ultra wire?

Cheers

Simon