Super detailing landing gear and gear bays?

I use "bead wire" - it's available at most craft stores. It comes in varying diameters, down to 34 AWG (.006 in, 0.16 mm); I generally go with solid copper - it's easy to cut, and holds it's shape pretty well. I wrap it around drill shanks to get close to any ID I want. It's inexpensive, too.

Edited by Bill_S

• 1 month later...

I've used bead wire and it keeps it's shape very well. For me, though, it's hard to work with in some cases as it can be too stiff. I picked up a lead wire assortment meant for fishing fly tying that someone mentioned a while back.

http://www.basspro.com/Lead-Wire-Assortment/product/63638/

Easily workable (especially for coiling). To give you and idea, the container size in the photo is approximately 3.5 X 4 inches (7.5 X 12 cm for you international folks).

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When wires are against a well wall or a bulkhead, lead wire is ideal. When you need some structural rigidity as the wire is going from one side of a well to another, from the well to a door or LG leg, I prefer relying on copper or brass wire. So, it depends on circumstances, easiness of access to position and glue and so on...

My best advice: purchase all diameters and different materials of wires you may find. Believe me, even in that case, you will still end looking for something else when you like detailing things!

Most good modelling shops and webshops sell lead wire but do not hesitate looking in women craft shops, fishing shops, electronics components shops, DIY shops and so on to find other ones.

Hth

Thierry