Roden FOKKER DR-1

ruzlkampf

This build is now separating from the Hobbycraft DR-1 Jacobs thread. This will make it easier for me to bounce around and build what/when I want, and simplify posting pics as things progress. I had both of these different kits in the same box to save space, but now they must assume their own identities once again. Let me start over with this particular build, and re-show what I'm starting with. Ignore the taped up Hobbycraft airframe in the box, OK? :(

post-4413-1253872970.jpg

OK,..... now I already had a few bits started alongside the other build, but I have since painted the engine. Here's basically where I'm at. This tripe will have the Axial prop and Oberhursel engine. Basically 'stock'. Now I still haven't decided which Richthofen brother I'm going to do yet, but this will end up as one of these 3 paint-schemes.

post-4413-1253873353.jpg

I'm leaning towards this one in particular,......just because it's so famous; but I've never done it. Up in the air for now.

post-4413-1253873430.jpg

Looking good Russ.

Richthofen's red tripe was the only tripe I ever built way back when. I built the old Revell 1/28th issued with the ground crew pushing. I think the ground crewman is the only piece I have left of that old kit.

I'm looking forward to this one being completed also.

Adrian

Okay, time to get the ball rolling on this doohickey! Thanks for the encouragement guys, mucho appreciated. Pretty stoked tonight, as I got a note on my door to pick up my pilots at the post-office tomorrow. Whoohoo! PJ Productions,...you guys rock! From Belgium to California in a week....GREAT service!

Ben refining and honing my WW1 rigging and detail skills, (these things are small! :rolleyes: ) on the cockpit tonight. Roden kit is in another level from the Hobbycraft kit. Very crisp and delicate detail,....amazing. I've already started deviating from the plans by building the cockpit 'tubing' structure as a unit. The sides were to be glued into the fuse 1/2's, then everything dumped in from the top to finish assembly. Nuh uh,...ain't happening that way this time Roden. The way I'm approaching it, I was able to add the rigging to the 'cage', and it'll be much easier to paint. Check it out;

post-4413-1254227830.jpg

All this other stuff was supposed to drop in from the top. I like doing it this way better,.....much easier. (I'm lazy,...eh?!)

post-4413-1254227910.jpg

Oh yeah, I added a white styrene 'throttle control' (actually, the only way to throttle this is to cut the ignition in/out to 'blip' the engine off/on.) Look Ma, I'm modifying! Did a bit of wire rigging on the cage to make it look fancy too. :rolleyes: Anyway, there were some sink-holes in the fuse sides that i covered up with some conveniently placed styrene triangles. These would have been plywood pieces to give shape to the sides in the real aircraft. Here's a pic of my interior pieces ready for paint, and the all-important pilot. Put an exacto knife by it to show how small this darn thing is. More pics tomorrow night after a bit more progress. Later, Russ

post-4413-1254228367.jpg

Whoohoo! :P Thanks Gents! I'm actually taking a night off from modeling tonight ( :) ), so I can take some time and see what others are building and socialize a bit. OK, I lied,....I worked on 'personalizing' my Richthofen pilot dude a bit with a scarf around the lower 1/2 of his face. Whuh oh sphaghettios! :lol:

These are pics of where I was last night before getting caught up in the euphoria of the moment and painting/installing the pilot in the 'other tripe'. Test-fitting the painted pieces, and positioning Herr Rittmeister into his 'office'. As can be seen, little modification was needed on the PJ productions pilot to get him to fit. Most of this is 'fluff-time' building cuz it won't be seen. Just wanted to make the effort, and I'm an expert on piddling around and goofing off. Here goes!;

post-4413-1254395186.jpg

Haven't got a clue if this is scale, or correct.....and don't give a pinch of owl dung if it is/isn't. Having too much fun to be bothered with technicalities, and it won't be seen anyway. Here's the Baron getting test-fitted. I like these guys, way to go PJ Productions! :P Richthofen wore a seal-skin flying outfit, and I'm guessing that would be a brown color? Want a little variety for my pilot colors, so I think he'll be riding the crest of his own fashion wave and be wearing an 'in' color for the spring of 1918. Seal-skin brown with a face-wrap, yeah...that's the ticket!

post-4413-1254395639.jpg

More test-fitting. This Roden kit is waaaay less clunky than my previous tripe,....but the trade-off is it's much more fragile. The Hobbycraft was a good kit to learn with, and I'm much more comfortable with small spars and rigging now. :P I don't have the fuel tank or ammo bins put in place here, so ya'll can see inside a bit better.

post-4413-1254395960.jpg

And with the middle wing in place,...it just about covers everything up. The Spandaus will cover most of the rest. Interior was fun,...but it's time to move on. I'm ready to start painting some RED by gawd! :lol: More pics tomorrow after I get off my duff and glue all this together, and paint the pilot. I'll be done with this build by this Sunday. The rest of this build is a cake-walk. Later! Russ

post-4413-1254396240.jpg

Thanks Håkan! Finally got the dude re-sculpted and painted,...fuse zipped up and filled,....control rigging installed, and most of the struts and wings installed. WHEW! These little WW1 planes require a lot of prep, then go together like gang-busters. :blink: I got some 'crimson' painted on this critter tonight, and mocked things up for a short set of walk-around pics.

Tires/engine/cowling temporarily afixed for a portrait. Ready for the painting/install of the mg's and detail painting;

post-4413-1254661870.jpg

And,...my re-sculpted Richthofen figure. Got a fur collar and face scarf now. Still needs a pin-wash, but basically all there.

post-4413-1254661979.jpg