Still deciding...Seafire L III or Mustang IV?

R Palimaka

I am planning to do both eventually, but the Dragon Mustang will likely need more work (and time) after I stuff it full of J. Rutman resin! And of course as soon as I finish that, Hasegawa will announce a new-tool 1/32P-51D/K.

The aircraft I want to do are;

Seafire III of Sub.Lt. Richard Reynolds of the Fleet Air Arm, the top-scoring Seafire ace. The aircraft sported both German crosses and Japanese flag kill markings, a personal name and the British Pacific Fleet roundels with US-style bars. Should look quite different from the usual Spits.

The other is the 303 Squadron Mustang IV (KM112 PD-D) of S/Ldr Witold Lokuciewski. It was the only Mustang IV in 303 which carried kill markings (for which photos exist at least).

I'd like to do both, but I know realistically that with my building speed I'll ony finish one before the deadline. It'll likely be the Seafire as I have almost all the bits to start now.

Time will tell...

Cheers,

Richard

I am planning to do both eventually, but the Dragon Mustang will likely need more work (and time) after I stuff it full of J. Rutman resin! And of course as soon as I finish that, Hasegawa will announce a new-tool 1/32P-51D/K.

The aircraft I want to do are;

Seafire III of Sub.Lt. Richard Reynolds of the Fleet Air Arm, the top-scoring Seafire ace. The aircraft sported both German crosses and Japanese flag kill markings, a personal name and the British Pacific Fleet roundels with US-style bars. Should look quite different from the usual Spits.

The other is the 303 Squadron Mustang IV (KM112 PD-D) of S/Ldr Witold Lokuciewski. It was the only Mustang IV in 303 which carried kill markings (for which photos exist at least).

I'd like to do both, but I know realistically that with my building speed I'll ony finish one before the deadline. It'll likely be the Seafire as I have almost all the bits to start now.

Time will tell...

Cheers,

Richard

The seafire sounds real cool, and not very common like the regular spitfire is I for one would really like to see it.Good luck..Pappy1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks, I did decide to go with the Seafire. There's just something very intriguing about a Seafire in Pacific markings with crosses and rising suns together as kill markings.

I won't be doing the wing-fold this time. I have the resin Seafire wings from Warbirds porductions, and they are solid. I am not brave enough to go sawing through that!

I'll start after I get back from the UK. I am going over for work, but also to attend the funeral of my cousin killed in Afganistan last Thursday while serving with the RAF Regiment outside Camp Bastion. My supervisor was kind enough to change the timings of a project scheduled for December, so that I could do it now and attend the funeral. Senior Aircraftsman Marcin Wojtak's body will be flown home to RAF Lyneham this Friday. Spare a thought for his family and mates, and all of those who have made that last trip through RAF Lyneham, or CFB Trenton here, or any of the other repatriation sites. I work for the Canadian Army here, and am surrounded by discussion and analysis of the war and lessons learned. It all seems so remote and academic. Not any more.

Cheers,

Richard