Revell 1:32 Spitfire IIa with some 'improvements'

Iain

Thanks Kevin...

Back on it this morning - cockpit and tail feathers - photos in a little while.

If it all comes together OK I'll put everything together as an article for the main site.

Iain

And - in plan 'C'...

Been looking at the fuselage lengths compared to the Tamiya kit (and made assumption Tamiya kit is correct) - will add a sheet plastic plug to lengthen the rear fuselage.

Also been comparing the upper cowling of the Tamiya IX with that of the Revell IIa - and obvious length differences aside - the shapes/dimensions stack up pretty well. Photos later - but I may just add a smidgeon of Milliput top the upper cowl.

Also spotted an errant 'CAD bulge' on the rear fuselage that needs sanding out - and a slight re-profiling of the area just in front of the canopy. Will explain all in photos - just waiting for the area around those formation lights (that I'm removing) to dry.

Quite enjoying this one!!  :piliot:

Iain

These 'Bulges' are typically the product of flowing surfaces from frame to frame, either with too few frames, or obviously incorrectly shaped ones, or allowing the CAD program to 'optimise' the transition from shape to shape. On the real aircraft structure, while there will be a 'flow', it will not be quite the same form, indeed might be closer to a loft from frame to frame, when the sheet material is only bent in one direction, rather than a compound form. Look at a lot of aluminium aircraft structure, and the panels are actually flat sheets, just bent like a sheet of paper. The compound forms are restricted to engine cowlings and wing root fairings, where they really matter aerodynamically. This is generally for ease of manufacture. Of course, as manufacturing methods improved, more complex shapes were possible.  But to reproduce the shape of any aircraft you need to know what all the frame shapes actually were, and how the skins were formed between and over them. More research of course, but actually knowing this sort of stuff makes the model design easier; you don't have to guess!! If there is a problem, it is CAD designers not having all the relevant information, and under pressure to get the design sorted out on time and budget, allowing the CAD program to make a shape from less than complete data. Or guessing.....

Tim

PS here are two surfaces, prepared from exactly the same set of frames. The top one is a ''flowed' through all the frames, while the lower one is a set of straight lofts between them. Notice the weird bulges in the top one!!

CADbulge.jpg

Edited by wunwinglow

OK - cockpit aside (lots of parts on my bench being cleaned up)...

Fuselage: a polish this morning has highlighted that I need to sand the starboard side cockpit area a little more - and those CAD generated transitions that have resulted in a bit of a bulge along the rear fuselage - centred on areas highlighted red. Simple job later today to smooth out with sanding sticks/wet and dry.

Green areas are where the kit 'formation' lights appear - have fitted kit clear parts and filled with Squadron Green Stuff - ready for sanding later. Can't see any photos that support these being on a wartime Mk IIa?

I've also highlighted the areas in front of the canopy that could do with rounding off:

IMG_3140.jpg

Whilst I work on the 'pit - a start has been made on assembling 'halves' from around the rest of the airframe - ready for a sanding session later. The rivets on the tailplanes will be filled with paint and the elevators/rudder sanded back a little to improve the look.

I'll be using one of the kit markings options - so assuming I need to make the ailerons appear 'fabric' covered - no big shakes.

IMG_3141.jpg

Hopefully all making sense?

Iain

Guest Peterpools

Tim

Amazing explanation of how errors creep into a kit, even if the references are accurate.

Iain

I'm exhausted just reading and following each update. But of course;

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Have been busy cleaning up cockpit components - has taken longer than expected - partly numbers, partly small parts sizes and partly moulding irregularities that needed cleaning up with fresh scalpel blade.

Personally - I think the moulded detail is pretty good:

IMG_3142.jpg

Now - Revell - how could you? I've read that the cockpit in this kit was somewhat simplified - but really... (Please note - tongue firmly planted in cheek there!!  ;) )

I think I'll be doing a new seat back padding and adding straps. Also in the photo is the armoured plate that goes behind the seat - this one from the Hasegawa kit.

IMG_3143.jpg

Right - off to glue some of this together so I don't lose anything!!  :frantic:

Have fun...

Iain

Have been busy cleaning up cockpit components - has taken longer than expected - partly numbers, partly small parts sizes and partly moulding irregularities that needed cleaning up with fresh scalpel blade.

Personally - I think the moulded detail is pretty good:

IMG_3142.jpg

Now - Revell - how could you? I've read that the cockpit in this kit was somewhat simplified - but how could you? (Please note - tongue firmly planted in cheek there!!  ;) )

I think I'll be doing a new seat back padding and adding straps. Also in the photo is the armoured plate that goes behind the seat - this one from the Hasegawa kit.

IMG_3143.jpg

Right - off to glue some of this together so I don't lose anything!!  :frantic:

Have fun...

Iain

Always a good idea !

Cheers

Den

Cockpit coming together - need a break - then paint.

Only mod so far in this image is to sand back the seat back to remove the moulded shape - and re-scribe vertical lines for upholstered leather before paint.

IMG_3148.jpg

Here you can see the Hasegawa armoured plate trimmed to size and fitted:

EDIT - seat armour is wrongly fitted in photo - now re-done!

IMG_3147.jpg

And tanks fitted. The pipework on the starboard cockpit side has been removed as per Edgar's reference "the oxygen hose, which should not be moulded on the starboard cockpit wall. On the Mk. I & II, the hose was "attached" to the pilot, and plugged into a socket on the starboard wall."

IMG_3146.jpg

Now - to fire up the airbrush...

Iain

Liking what I see Iain..

The CAD 'bulges' are an interesting phenomenon.. recall the 219 had a few....

Revell would be better off, I sometimes think, going out to the real 3D modelling enthusiasts and using their work which appears to display a better feel for the lines of the aircraft. I wonder what the difference are between a 3D model created for its own sake and one created for mould making?

Looking forward to seeing this come together.

Matt