P 51B, or rather RAF Mustang III : FINISHED

Ian A

Looking good Ian!!

Nice job on re-scribing the wings, from the looks of my paint job I may have to wind up sanding & scribing mine.

Your barrels look great also, they look better than mine!!

Great Job! Keep it up!

Adrian A.

• 2 weeks later...

post-2259-1172100990.jpgThe deadline approaches, and I'm still toiling. I've got to go away on business for four days, so my chances of finishing in time are slim. Still, it's been a great experience watching the other builds and I will finish this shortly. I've learned a great deal, especially from the builds of Allok and Hacker, and also from Adrian.

Thanks to all.

Here she is after hours of filling, sanding , and re-scribing. The first shot of primer indicates a need for some more of all three!

Next time, and there will be a next time, I'll do as others have before and use the Eduard cockpit, and the wheels and nose/prop assembly from the leading edge/firewall forward from the Hasegawa D. Or maybe the Dragon. The shape is certainly off around the nose.

Or maybe I wait for the Hobbycraft incarnation!

I certainly have a weakness for P-51B/Cs, and have enjoyed making an ICM 1/48th at the same time. post-2259-1172101014.jpg

• 1 month later...

A burst of activity over the last 2 weeks still sees me struggling to finish on time.

Still, as I keep telling myself (and anyone else who'll listen)-I'm learning.

And this might be the first kit I actually finish since Pontius was a Pilate (or was he a Pilot?).

Very much a J-curve on the learning front, and obviously I bit off more than I could chew.

I re-scribed far too deeply, and will experiment with other tools there (I used an Olfa cutter). I also need to take much more time over that procedure-practically every single pass needs to be guided by fresh Dymo tape.

The last wash was a disaster. Acrylic mixed with dish soap and water over gloss laquer. I ended up having to clean up substantially with Acrylic thinner.

We'll see how she looks after a coat of dull-cote.

Dropping the flaps was an education, actually a tertiary level education when I should still be at kindy!

I used a mixture of rattle cans and airbrush-next time I'll just use the airbrush for the sake of cleaner touch-ups of the inevitable fubars.

The Techmod decals were a bit mettlesome, and I lost the wing top roundels after my wash debacle. Three different lots of appropriate roundels from old Revell kits went down in a blaze of glory due to their advanced age, before I settled on the decals from a Trump P-40. I know, they're the larger early war jobs, but I was getting desperate.

Oh, and I brush painetd the sky fuselage band instead of loading up the Paasche, and I got seepage under the mask. Same thing happened with the Malcolm hood. Lessons learned.

Thanks for looking, and for reading, and for the inspiration from the rest of the guys in the build!