"Old Revell"...1/32 F-4J Phantom: FINISHED

ChrisS

Here we go!

Old (1972) boxing of the F-4J. I'm building this for my Son's birthday (he'll be three on the 3rd of March). I'll hang it from his ceiling until he's old enough to figure out how to bring it down and destroy it :)

Here's the titlebar from the instructions...

title.jpg

And a shot of the full assembly sans elevons (did this in one night). As it'll be all sealed up with blacked out canopy and windscreen I jumped right to surface prep for paint :)

full.jpg

And speaking of surface prep....oh dear :) What have I done!?

surface.jpg

A glorious shot of the pit...none of this will be seen.

OOB.jpg

And I might use the kit cals...if they hold up!!

cals.jpg

Stay tuned!

You bum, you are way ahead of the game!! :)

Looks like it should be a fun project.

BTW, I am sure I have some F4-J decals I will never use, much more colorful than those and that would probably go on a lot better than those old Revell ones!! So if you would like, I can go through my stash.

Another BTW, what might be kind of fun for the pit, is to use some of the old Tamiya F-14 panel decals. Just so there is something to look at in there! Got some of those too...

For Pete and the rest as to release dates of the OLD revell kits,

The late 60's to be the real deal here, as of 1969 and up till the mid 80's and even up to 1980 if everyone one remembers the F/A-18 kit.So if anyone has those kits as to what erwin posted awhile ago.U'er good to go.And if anyone needs as to decals or parts for these kits and are missing them.I have some parts laying arouind.But will check as to anyone asking about them and will let u know.Larry

My Wife has talked me into doing the build up as a Blue Angel, probably #3 (given that our Son William will be three when he gets it).

inst2.jpg

I found the Yellowhammer sheet (above) and it looks great!

Ray: Thanks for the offer of the others...if you've already sent them, I'll be building my Tammy J as VF-84 now :)

Big time surface prep continues. Since this model will eventually fall into the hands of a 3 year old boy, my goal is to make it as strong as possible. I've used 5 minute epoxy, as well as strategically placed brass and styrene pins to help strengthen some of the airframe. I also used gap filling super glue and accelerator for most of the assembly.

From time to time that did not go so well...

Some stress cracking took place and I just decided to get Neanderthal on the beee0tch!

surface3.jpg

I drilled some holes through the wings, fin, and fuselage to insert styrene pins in some key spots.

pins1.jpg

Then I put the pins in with superglue and accelerator and sanded them smooth.

pins2.jpg

Now I'm hitting all these and some of the 5 min epoxy and superglue mess with 150 grit sandpaper...what panel lines?!

surface1.jpg

Since this will be a blue angels bird, and hanging from the ceiling I won't be re-scribing. I'll hit this all with Mr Surfacer 1000, then prime, sand, prime, then we'll see what we have!

surface2.jpg

Something about the "combat" build really satisfies me. I love bringing something horrid back from the brink of disaster and into the light; but man is my arm is tired tonight!

:)

I built this kit 30 years ago and won 3rd place at a local IPMS show in Anaheim CA. I do not remember it being this bad, but maybe because my standards have changed I guess, along with my attention span and patience. I wish I still had a pic of that old build...there were no Tamiya F-4s back then, or many aftermarket decals and I did it up as a VF114 bird (Ardvarks) all painted with rattlecans and brushes :)

Those were the days!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Looking forward to seeing progress on this. I'm think of using my old Revell kit for a Bue Angel aircraft too. I reservations about using the Tamiya kit for for an overall blue paint job. I got lucky and bought the Tamiya kit on ebay for $60!!!(including shipping) I haven't seen in that price range again and don't know why no one outbid me! I'm also so glad cutting edge has made those new intakes for the F-4's Takes some of the bite out of building the kit (one day)

Please post more pictures of your build soon!

Gary Vincent

Yeah I should have something to show tonight, still massive surface prep. I had forgotten how horrible the fit was of the rear canopy. I used about a pound of gap filler and I am still sanding the beast!

I'm really looking forward to painting this one :D

• 1 month later...

Finaly got a little time to take a few pictures of some progress:

Got the blue on over black enamel primer and trimmed the leading edges with foil.

blue1.jpg

blue2.jpg

blue3.jpg

blue4.jpg

I'll dowse it in gloss coat then decal it, then gloss again. The sparrows and elevators still need to be done. I think I'll be able to make it... ;)