War-Weary Seahorse A6M2-N 1945

Out2gtcha

Brian,

First of all, I have to say that this was one of the most fun WIP threads to follow along with, in my memory. It was educational, as well as inspirational. Beyond that, the model, itself, the conversion and the finishing are all amazing in their own right. Then we have the trolley, which is a model unto itself! Put them together and I can feel the tropical sun on my face and smell the salt in the air, as I'm looking at it. Just fantastic!

As for the weathering, you know my feelings on that. I think it's spot on for what you were trying to accomplish and it fits the subject well. Not only that, but this model has something that a lot of models lack. That is texture. It's easy (or easier) to use techniques that give a certain look from a few feet away, or across the room. However, with this model, it still passes the test of grit and feel, even when you eyeball it closely. All of your techniques and hard work paid off, big time!

Thanks for posting your WIP and (finally :P ) in the RFI forum. It was well worth the wait!

:punk: :bow: :punk:

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Wow guys........................Im actually really taken-aback....................We all know when we do good jobs, but still knit-pick ourselves to death, but in this case it was more like trall-alalalalala, skip along and try what ever comes to mind............so all of thes comments really do mean a lot to me, as some of you are some of the best modelers I have ever seen. I can say that with impunity, as the Internet does offer us the opportunity to get to know (so-to-speak) people and in this case modelers from around the globe.

Im blown away by all your positive thoughts, and it really re-enforces why I come here.............and only here. I do feel compelled to thank you all, and to answer any questions as well..............

One word, MASTERPIECE !  :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, Im not sure if that is the word I personally would use, especially with the likes of Peter around here!  :lol: all the same thanks, as your pictures, comments and overall humor are indeed one of the many reasons I come to LSP.

Oh my, indeed it's obvious you had great fun building, and especially painting/weathering this kit, looking great Brian, congrats!!

IMHO it doesn't really look tooooo weathered, i can imagine finding this aircraft somewhere in a secluded forgotten bay.........

J.

I like it!  Good Job Brian. :)

Paul 

Jack, Paul, thanks for taking the time to comment. Always appreciated.  

Great stuff, Brian! Great build, great weathering, and superb work on the trolley. May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Thanks K1, and yes, you always do.  post away!

Really nice! It looks like one well used Rufe that has been Island hoping for a long time. Well done!

Thanks Vitali Nice to have you back and posting my friend!

More than one word.  Wish I could see the pictures.  Never no mind.  I'll look at the WiP.

Sincerely,

Mark

Brian, You can't receive any new PM's, so I'll post it here:

In your thread you mentioned you used an after market cockpit.  If you still have the kit cockpit I'd like to buy it from you.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Mark

Haha, thanks Mark!   Im glad you can see the pics now and thanks for the kind words (later in the thread :lol: ).   

Yes, also thanks for bringing the PM thing to my attn. I have deleted a crap ton of messages, so please do PM me and we can discuss.   :)

Brian,

That is totally Awesome - I think you have a really nice scheme there.

One question if I may, did the tail fin attachment for the aerial (little spring type thing) come with the kit or did you manufacture that ? Looks really cool.

Thanks for sharing your model photos with us,

Regards

Alan

Thanks very kindly Alan!

As to the spring for the vertical tail aerial attachment, I found a while ago when going through my house and replacing the old fashioned light bulbs with new gen LED bulbs, I found if you broke a new one in a trash can, you can salvage the tiny spring elements inside and utilize them for antenna.The are extrodanarily delicate, but they can be pretty easily manipulated and can thread the thin Uschi rigging material through it.

HTH

It's been a pleasure to watch as a WIP, and the result is a great testimony of your skills and faithful to your intentions. :goodjob: Brian !

Hubert

Hubert, thanks VERY much for the kind words. Its always nice to have you comment as I know you are generally not a fan of camo aircraft, so I take it as a high compliment.

Brian,

First of all, I have to say that this was one of the most fun WIP threads to follow along with, in my memory. It was educational, as well as inspirational. Beyond that, the model, itself, the conversion and the finishing are all amazing in their own right. Then we have the trolley, which a a model unto itself! Put them together and I can feel the tropical sun on my face and smell the salt in the air, as I'm looking at it. Just fantastic!

As for the weathering, you know my feelings on that. I think it's spot on for what you were trying to accomplish and it fits the subject well. Not only that, but this model has something that a lot of models lack. That is texture. It's easy (or easier) to use techniques that give a certain look from a few feet away, or across the room. However, with this model, it still passes the test of grit and feel, even when you eyeball it closely. All of your techniques and hard work paid off, big time!

Thanks for posting your WIP and (finally :P ) in the RFI forum. It was well worth the wait!

:punk: :bow: :punk:

John

John,

I have to say yours was one of the responses  I was taken aback by. You've got some massive modeling skills, and I see the way you build in a lot of the stuff I try to do. With all the layering and the chipping and fabric damage  tried to replicate, came from under the top layer of paint just as the real chipping would have, so I think it does give it a more layered and textured look.

The oils added a lot IMHO, and really got the float the "quilted" used look I was after.

Great job Brian! Love the weathering and really enjoyed your WIP. Thanks for sharing.

Jay

Thanks Jay!