1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

It's definately real - been lurking in the loft far too long - started her in 1999!! :)

Will be a US Navy EC-121K Warning Star in the Grey/White/International Orange scheme...

Heaven knows when I'll get her finished...

Iain

I was in a 1/1 EC-121 3 weeks ago- The local museum has one, and was great to go inside and see what passed for hi-tech back in 1954!!

Thanks all for the kind words of support - *really* appreciated... :lol:

As to group vote on madness - I thought we were all a bit mad in this hobby of ours? :ph34r: B) B)

More work on tail later today and I may start cutting out the doors, window and gear well openings in the fuselage - I have a Heller 1:72 kit for reference as well as the drawings.

Measure and mark a gazzilion times - cut once!! :blink:

Then I can make a start on the interior (well - the bits you can see anyway)...

Iain

I've just spotted that the outer sections of the tailplane - outside the fins - have a different angle of attack to the main body of the tailplane - so I'm rethinking how it all hangs together - my razor saw is twitching in eager anticipation! :blink: B)

Iain

Guest UMIRESIN

:lol: EEK ! ! Lian ,

Man that "Connies " gonna be huge ! Is this the same one i saw a few pictures of years ago showing the fuselage filled with foam & sitting on a table? I remember a pic like that , but then I'm old & the mind is slowly going :blink:

Anyway , I hope you don't run into the prpblem I had later after building my FW-200 . We sold the big house years ago after the kids were grown n moved out . We bought a much much smaller place , and now my Condor literally stands on its nose balanced in a corner of my modeling room for lack of a place to display it . I know this " Connies " much bigger span wise B)

Thanks Dave,

Perhaps if I made it in modular components you could make up some rubber moulds and cast some copies... :lol:

Only joking!! :blink:

Yeah - we'll worry about storage later.... B)

Iain

A few pix from today:

516670442_b984983ed6_o.jpg

Tail fins - doesn't look like it yet - but a lot of work!

The outers have been enlarged with 8mm deep 60 thou plastic sheet 'plugs', filled with casting resin for strength and the incorrectly moulded troughs where the fin hinge line supposed to be filled with Milliput. Once it's all hardened - it's out with the bench sander!

Central fin also too short - extended with 13 mm plug and again filled with casting resin. Leading edge curve is a plastic sheet sandwich which will be carved to shape. Once shape I'll use my profile guage to mark the curve along the base so that it fits snugly on the top of the tailplane.

They'll look a lot better after the next stage - and I can make a start on scribing/rivetting! B)

516697533_7fd6221829_o.jpg

When doing this much scratchbuilding it pays to have another model for reference - in this case the 1:72 Heller Connie - simply scan, or measure the part/shape and enlarge linear dimensions by 2.25.

516670606_2771ec5c3e_o.jpg

Having marked the level of the internal floor - I've now marked out the position/size of the crew entry door - which will be open on the completed model - I have some good pix of the interior of this area...

Note - forward fuselage sprayed with matt grey primer - makes it easier to mark up with a technical pencil.

Allways work from a single datum where possible - in this case the vertical station in line with the leading edge of the canopy.

That's all for now folks - more pics after Mr Bench Sander has come out to play... :blink: :lol:

Iain

Wow! What a project!

Looks great so far. It looks like it's prety much a scratchbuild. On a project like this, making the forms for the vac are probably only about 10% of the job. The stuff you are doing is the other 90%.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Pete

Thanks Pete...

Mouldings/patterns were done by Doug Feeney - Mr ID Models. He also has one he's been building - wants to do a MATS Connie...

So - one day, we may be able to display 2 1:32 Lockheed Constellations!! :blink: :unsure: B)

Iain