Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger New Pics 6/9/15

LSP_Paul

Looking super good, Paul!

Love all the PE you are adding to the build and the camo work.

Can't wait to see it weathered.

John

Thanks John. She doesn't need as much as your Merkava as far as PE but what  there is and what will be added soon will make things look a bit more realistic I hope.

Weathering is going to be 'fun" to say the least .

All the best,

Paul 

Guest Clunkmeister

Paul, this build is amazing. It's looking awesome. Keep it up and I might just take the plastic off mine.....

As far as why the Germans decided to use the hard edge camo? I'm sure somebody at some point thought it was a good idea and would make a difference in actual operational use, much like a lot of the silly things they thought would make a huge difference at the end of the war on aircraft camo. 

Paul

Nice build,  I suspect it maybe a more simple answer than that i.e. a paint brush for a none skilled worker over a spray gun for the one sent to the front.

Paul is totally right about the camo. Supposed to be base of olive green. However, from photos it appears not many were actually delivered that way, at least with Panthers. It was totally chaotic by this time and it was much more important to get the vehicles out there than to follow regulations to the letter, so there was much variation. There definitely were hard-edged vehicles, but a lot were still sprayed. Some had tight sprayed edges, some soft. Color tint also varied. About this time near the end of the war the dark yellow appears to have changed in formulation to a lighter shade, also, which I believe is what Paul is going for.

It does appear it was just rumor that Panzer Grey became re-used at the end of the war. Also, that red primer was used as a base color except for possibly a few exceptions (like right off the factory floor). It is looking more like some vehicles came off the line in overall Red Brown instead of Olive Green. Maybe a paint supply issue? Anyway, it is nearly as much a minefield as late-war Luftwaffe colors.

Then you take into account dust, dirt and fading. Can't wait to see how Paul starts weathering this beast! Go, Paul, go! :)

Hi Guys,

Paul, that is a great model of the Tiger II!  I think you've done a remarkable job with the hard edge camouflage.  In that scale, I'd probably hand paint it as I hate masking all those contours and around/over fittings, tools and such.  I did a 1/35 Tamiya Hetzer a couple years back in the circle camo, using the same colors you did and the results were pretty good if I do say so myself.  I've got the 1/16 Trumpeter giant waiting on me but it'll have to wait until after I move and get resettled to break that guy out.

I couldn't resist a good Tiger II discussion.  I have SEVERAL cats myself as I absolutely love the Tiger (Sdkfz 181, Ausf. E, and the Sdkfz. 182, Ausf. B...Tiger's I and II respectively).  I read the posts about the camo and orders for the dark green paint application and from what I've read, the green overall paint was not to take place until March 1, 1945.  I also read about the armor suppliers being ordered (12/20/1944) to immediately start coating armor components with Dunkelgruen paint prior to delivery.  Now just what armor components consist of is a mystery to me.  I would imagine that it might be hatches, armored access panels, cupolas, armored grills, etc. but I think the hull and turret themselves would remain in red oxide primer (ordered so on 10/31/44).  Camo coats were to be sprayed in patches onto the red oxide primer...  It is my opinion (and in agreement with some others) that at least some Tiger II, were delivered in  a four color scheme,  Braun, Gruen and Gelb Deckpast (RAL 8017, 6003 and 7028) the fourth color being the red oxide primer.  There's nothing in my reference (listed below) that references any directive for hard edge camo so that must've been a manufacturing decision unless further documentation has come to light alluding to such a directive.

My Reference:  Jentz, Thomas L. & Doyle, Hillary L. (1997). Germany's Tiger Tanks VK45.02 to Tiger II: Design, Production and Modifications. Schiffer Publishing  LTD. Pa.  (p. 138)

Edited by Juggernut

Not a big fan of these metal monsters, but what you did with this kit, I like it. I do not know if properly built, or well painted, but looks good. A proof that those who make model airplanes are talented and other areas and know how to make a thing look good. Keep up the good work. I'll follow with interest your work, to see it completed.

Florin

Well guys, thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to share a few more updates pics. I laid in the basic weathering tones and streaking using oils and gave everything a nice matt finish,.

Now I'll add the detail parts and blend the weathering to match and then do the tracks and wheels the same.

Thanks again for checking out my build,

Paul 

post-3619-0-06674900-1433888363_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-95285200-1433888376_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-93031000-1433888425_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-42761700-1433888447_thumb.jpg

post-3619-0-09050800-1433888472_thumb.jpg

Guest Clunkmeister

AWESOME JOB!!!! I really need to do one as well.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Ron how about a Canadian tank from WWII? For example a Canadian Firefly tiger killer?

I find Armor such a relaxing and rejuvenating break from the " have to be flawless" aircraft models, yet they can be as if not more detailed in their own way.  My Next one is in 1/16th   :mental:  :m0152:  :frantic:

Come join in the fun!

Paul 

Guest Clunkmeister

Now a 1/16 FT-17 would be way cool. Or a 1/16 Leo C2... Or 2A6(Can). That would be cool as well.

A Sherman Tiger Killer? That sounds like an oxymoron, from the little I know of tanks, the Word "Sherman" and the words "Tiger Killer" don't coexist except in the negative....

Hey Man !....You are aware that it has no wings right?.     it just squirms around on the ground getting dirty.

From a total pre-modern armor novice she looks good.  See I'll prove I know nothing about armor.....

I thought the "Spots" were supposed to resemble blowing leaves?

jack