Saburo Sakai's A6m2, Tamiya 1/32 Zero

cbk57

Hi Kurky

I used the set specifically for the A6m2 in the hope that the hinomaru would be the correct size for those plane in case there is a difference with the a6m5.  Also I knew I would not be using white outlines which look like they are on the a6m5 set.  I kind of think the a6m5 set might be better as a whole since they include masks for the no walk area on the wings.  As far as using them goes I really worry with any adhesive that it will leave residue or worse pull up paint.  In this case the masks have a very minimal tack but it is sufficient to easily seal the mask area.  I had a very slight bleed of white on one or two which can be fixed with a bit of careful touch up.  I used extremely thin paint though as I only wanted a base not total coverage and the bleed was on panel lines.  I did not want to compromise paint thickness.   I removed the masks immediately after finishing paint to minimize time in contact with the base color.  I had no residue and no pull up at all.  I am going to try them on my next build which will require a more difficult test as it will be US stars and bars which involve two colors and so the star will have to be down longer.   I also think their price point is good for what you get.  Maketar for example is more expensive but you get a lot more in a package.  I tried Maketar once and found these easier to work with vs. Maketar kabuki masks.

My only complaint is that the number sets seem to only represent aircraft already in the Tamiya kit.  It would be nice if they would have included more generic letters and numbers to do some common and popular alternatives.  The Tamiya kit depicts all Pearl Harbor schemes which I don't think are very interesting as the Zero was not that significant at Pearl Harbor.  Only a handful of American Fighters even got off the ground. 

I agree that I probably placed them just a little far inboard as I noticed as I was placing that the back side was farther than shown from the rear edge of the wing but appeared that the right side of the circle was falling on the correct panel line.  Anyway that error is going down to close enough.  Someone posted a poll last week about a hypothetical subject page.  I kind of figure that I always make some mistakes and every model as a result is a bit hypothetical. 

Hello cbk :-)

Thank you very much for your exhaustive answer about Montex Mask. I have just bought the same model kit hlj.com, but I have not yet decided about markings. Montex Mask is one of possibilities. Of course I agree with you. A6M2 Zero is most famous Japanese aircraft of the Pacific War. Unfortunately many world's hobby industries prefer machines from Pearl Harbour.

Dont worry about Hinomaru. I am convinced that Hinomaru has corect size B)

I like the way you used the salt technique to add a dimension that's not usually seen in model aircraft finishes. Personally, I don't think it's too subtle and will probably look just right by the time you are finished. A nice touch and I'm going to have to catalog that one in the back of my brain for later. ;) :goodjob:

John

I have mounted the motor and applied decals.  Not shown here but the Landing gear has been installed, inner cowlings painted, gear bays sprayed in exterior color.  Decalling is mostly done.  I added some wiring on the back side of the motor.

DSCN0494_zps57eb53cd.jpg

I was borne in Saskatchewan and I don't recall ever seeing a zero in front of any of the grain elevators? :hmmm:

It is not done but I am wrapping up the details.  Here are a few photos, I hope to finish this weekend.  I am starting with an aged B&W.  I think the paint came out okay.

DSCN0535_zps6dd5ffd7.jpgDSCN0518_zpsbaa44cd1.jpgDSCN0519_zpsca31897c.jpgDSCN0520_zps4ba7a055.jpg

Edited by cbk57

• 5 weeks later...