New AOA Decals - VNAF A-1 Skyraiders (Parts 1 & 2)

ziggyfoos

Can i build a AD6 from Trumpeters AD7 kit?

I'm not sure what their A-1J kit has in it. I suspect it's the same boxing as their H kit with different decals and the yankee seat included? Don't quote me on that. (Several of the schemes on this sheet had the yankee seat upgrades (easy way to tell are the ones with the red/white warning triangle below the cockpit)

• 5 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread. All I can say is: at long last!

Some pics to wet your appetite:

Ex-USN AD-6 refurbished with newly applied national insignia prior to delivery to VNAF

C6D7C183-BB95-4A9A-B931-CF3C17A784B5.jpg

A close view of the tiger-striped band. Note that the stripes are not of equal thickness

32BD1FF6-8B21-4461-8092-681BB6CC1440.jpe

A fine view of 1st SQN insignia. Note how beak and V point extend on front cowling.

82D9DD70-B2A8-4485-A168-CD0A55878A5C.jpe

Greetings from HCM / Saigon, VN

Q

Edited by quang

A close view of the tiger-striped band. Note that the stripes are not of equal thickness

Interesting too that the stripes don't appear to be standard (plus left/right sides differed). That one you posted of 34469 looks different than the one I saw for 34636.

Edited by ziggyfoos

They look non-standard. So i mean : are they field applied camos? (it seems they are, as the stencils has been masked). What are the paint used? Is there any reason why the chosen paints were not the standard USAF SEA colors?

Same thing for one of the camouflaged aircraft in the other set, with the standard SEA colors, but with a non-standard scheme.

I have to say that i know nearly nothing about VNAF skyraiders units.

They look non-standard. So i mean : are they field applied camos? (it seems they are, as the stencils has been masked).

Ya they're non-standard VNAF camo. They all seem to be around the ~1966 period before everything(?) went to SEA camo.

What are the paint used? Is there any reason why the chosen paints were not the standard USAF SEA colors?

Good questions that I can't answer for sure.

Same thing for one of the camouflaged aircraft in the other set, with the standard SEA colors, but with a non-standard scheme.

It's not USAF SEA colors, it's another oddball VNAF colored camo scheme.