1/32 Texan/Harvard down Under

SirBlueHenry

The 2 previous pictures show the difference in curvature of the upper wing surface. The kittyhawk model isnt great in this regard - but as stated - nothing to do about this - just noting. The monogram/revell has a very clean smooth, and correct line which i have coloured black to try and show it up better on the photo

Edited by SirBlueHenry

The decals look so nice, that its all the more frustrating that the darb blue is just too dark bordering black.

and its not like they couldnt have done the blue correctly - as there are some decals which have a sort of medium blue.

Really they could have got the colour right.

So - as nice as the decals are - I will not be able to use any of them where the blue is relevant, which - on the South African scheme is quite a lot of them.

Since I dont want to do 7111, but rather some other number - that also rules out the side decal.

Pity. They could have actually supplied seperate numbers to be applied over the yellow side panel.

will have to search through my stash and find good SA decals

Now one big question i need to ponder is ...

What do I leave out.

I am planning to do a closed build - meaning I dont want panels open and so on - so a lot of the detail will be hidden and hence no point in putting it in.

I rather build some of those parts as a seperate model to display next to the main airframe.

like all the stuff behind the engine.

Not sure - need to think about this a bit.

Almost forgot. another 3 things that are not correct.

The cockpit floor is not straight, it is in fact the upper surface of the wing, and isnt a floor that you can touch as such, but it is whats below the frame.

The rear seat does not attach to the wing (floor) on the real a/c. it attaches only to the frame.

The floor channels for the pilots feet, in line with the rudder pedals are not a continuous channel as on the kit, each cockpit has its own set.

in reality - i suppose despite these inconsistencies, when the finished article is in place, you will hardly know.

On my first build i will not correct any of these.

Edited by SirBlueHenry

Almost forgot. another 3 things that are not correct.

The cockpit floor is not straight, it is in fact the upper surface of the wing, and isnt a floor that you can touch as such, but it is whats below the frame.

The rear seat does not attach to the wing (floor) on the real a/c. it attaches only to the frame.

The floor channles for the lilots feet, in line with the rudder pedals are not a continuous channel as on the kit, each cockpit has its own set.

in reality - i suppose despite these inconsistencies, when the finished article is in place, you will hardly know.

On my first build i will not correct any of these.

Yes, you're absolutely right and I believe I have pointed this out already. The frame is therefore not right. But if you want to correct this, it means you'd better go the whole way, and produce a central upper wing. that would allow to have the correct wing profile, the correct frame, the correct frame-to-upper wing fittings, the correct fixing point for the rear swivelling seat, and also the correct placement for the gear legs, etc...

On the other hand, as I am working on a multiple corrections set, I am not sure this is worth the effort and whether a lot of modellers would want as extensive a correction set, knowing that would mean cutting away the fuselage at the upper Karman structure line. Not that complex a surgery (a straight line !) but significant nevertheless, for a detail probably most would not notice...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Hi Hubert.

Ok - tonight i have been taking most parts off the sprue and looking at things in more detail.

Unfortunately I now have to say that my plans have changed as to what I want to do with the model, and thats only due to 1 reason. It is really not accurate in the area that most mattered. The fuselage. Comparing to the monogram kit it doesnt measure up at all. The monogram is far superior.

Sure this 1/32 kit has nice detail, but it doesnt make much difference if the base airframe is only loosely a Harvard.

So I will build this model, but i would never bother to add any more detail, or extras or anything, and i will not build the other one.

My impression is that it can make a very nice display model, simply due to size and detail, especially to folks who dont mind much where it isnt quite right, which, granted  - may be the majority - but I cannot accept this as I am a purist. So what that means is I would rather do tons of work enhancing a Monogram kit than gaze upon fine detail on a Kittyhawk model marred by major defect.

To put it simply - many areas of the fuselage are not right.

Pity - i had originally thought the incorrect bits would be limited to undercarriage mounting points, fin with no offset, etc etc, but not to large scale inconsistency.

But - having said that - i will not continue running the kit down. It is what it is. we didnt have a 1/32 Texan, now we do, thats that.

But i still await the day Tamiya or Trumpeter make one in 1/32 or 1/24 !!

Hey mate, nice to have a fellow Chch person here....well I am in Rangiora if that counts.

My kit arrived last week along with a Vector engine. I would be keen to know more of your findings....didn't you get 2 kits?

If you would rather PM me rather than risk a firefight :fight:, however these guys here are pretty good. I am sure others may want to know your findings. I am one of those who loves the intrinsic shapes and details of a kit/aeroplane and am a self confessed rivet counter. However the research provides a great sense of enjoyment for me, and then trying to figure out a solution to the problem is what it is all about for me I am afraid. Probably why I rarely finish anything!

Cheers

Anthony