What are the indispensable tools in your kit?

Bstarr3

...... a CLEAN tiled kitchen floor (I have no bench or table and so have built sitting cross legged on the floor) and a comfy sheet to sit upon.!

I happened to me to work on the floor, too... when all my desk was so cluttered that i had not enough place to work on it.

But i would never do that in the kitchen or Mrs Zero would kill me. Even kill me twice. Twice at the same time. With anger.

Edited by Zero77

honestly a stereo for music, keeps me calm and I get to double dip on hobbies

Most important is sufficient light sources.

Tool wise, I have to say these days a set of files, micro and regular, are indispensable.

Seam clean up, gate clean up, shaping, etc I go to them over sanding tools these days.

Next up for me is a piece of plate glass, its flat, you can clean it with a razor blade, cut PE on it, decals, use it as an assembly jig, sanding platform etc.

After that Xurons make life easy, micro chisels, wire cutters, flat jaw pliers, hemostats, tweezers, etc

I was going to say my magnifier lamp, but I think it's in need of replacing with an optivisor.  As I work on small parts looking through the lamp, I keep trying to blow the dust off but the lamp is in the way.  I'm constantly blowing on the lens and the dust just won't move out of the way.

EDIT: Just ordered a X4 Optivisor and a loupe. :thumbsup:   Tired of working blind!

Edited by ScottsGT

Single malt Scotch mate. Glenmorangie preferably. Makes a bourbon taste like cat pee

I dont agree. Both are good, they are just two different drinks.

A glass may be a good tool for building, but several glasses would make your build a real mess. 

I dont agree. Both are good, they are just two different drinks.

A glass may be a good tool for building, but several glasses would make your build a real mess.

Ha ha ha. Fair enough!! I'd add that after several more glasses and you think your models the best ever built...until about 8 hours later.

Guest The Southern Bandit

Motivation, sometimes it goes, sometimes it comes back, grab it when you can folks because we life in a busy world that also needs our attention :)

Seriously, magnification of any sort, even if its just glasses for general model building, but I like a big articulated magnification glass on arms for some stuff, apart from that, sponge sanders and polishers too ... what a fantastic invention!

The magnifying light is key, but given all the folks here using Optivisors, I may have to give that a go. 

GOOD lighting

A white beach towel over my lap to catch errant parts when I drop them

The appropriate model stand

The Xuron cutters, PE Sissors esp. 

A piece of glass to cut on, my cutting matt,

Those white plastic tube ends that I use as paint and glue palettes

Flexi-file Flex Pads - esp the medium grit which I seem to use for almost everything

Gorilla Glue (gel CA),

Square and round (pointy) toothpicks, square to stir paint, pointy for painting knobs and switches and such, touch-ups, and cleaning

Tamiya Extra Thin cement

Razor saw

Post it notes (and all of the Tamiya Tape options)

The magnifying light is key, but given all the folks here using Optivisors, I may have to give that a go. 

GOOD lighting

A white beach towel over my lap to catch errant parts when I drop them

The appropriate model stand

The Xuron cutters, PE Sissors esp. 

A piece of glass to cut on, my cutting matt,

Those white plastic tube ends that I use as paint and glue palettes

Flexi-file Flex Pads - esp the medium grit which I seem to use for almost everything

Gorilla Glue (gel CA),

Square and round (pointy) toothpicks, square to stir paint, pointy for painting knobs and switches and such, touch-ups, and cleaning

Tamiya Extra Thin cement

Razor saw

Post it notes (and all of the Tamiya Tape options)

The white towel is a GREAT idea - especially since I'm dealing with Bob's Buckles parts right now!