F7F-3 Tigercat - BuNo 80405 - VMF 312 MCAS - El Toro, CA 1946

Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Alway appreciate your opinions and honesty when doing a review or a build.

Please just keep doing what your doing

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Shawn, Peter, that does mean a lot from you guys. I have a lot of respect for the friend that brought this to my attention, and I feel in a way I kind of let him down, (again totally unintentionally) as there was a possible business venture there, and it appears that is not going to be the case now.

This was his decision, and to be honest, I cant say it was a bad one, once he explained why. I really do feel I need to review kits like this honestly, I will just try to tone down the negativity of the thread, as really this IS my dream kit, and I am having fun with it. 

So thanks again, and I will continue to go forward with the build, whatever that means. 

Onward and upward! 

Brian, really like what your are doing with this WIP and to be honest if you are laying out large sums of your hard earned cash on a kit such as this people should be able to read "warts and all" WIPS like this. It is then up to the modeller to make an informed decision if they want to buy the kit knowing what they are letting them selves in for. 

Keep up the great work.

Regards. Andy 

Brian, really like what your are doing with this WIP and to be honest if you are laying out large sums of your hard earned cash on a kit such as this people should be able to read "warts and all" WIPS like this. It is then up to the modeller to make an informed decision if they want to buy the kit knowing what they are letting them selves in for. 

Thanks Andy. That is exactly what I am going for here; the ability to show all of the good and all of the bad, and let the modeler himself make the decision as to whether or not they want to plunk down their hard earned cash.  

Brian,

I understand your point, yet you only stated your opinions, in a proportion to the love you have for the subject, and the frustration in front of avoidable mistakes.

Again, the negatives comments from others was IMHO triggered by Jiri's answer to you, which you reported, and was a case study of bad customer's relations behaviour ... and you are not responsible for this. Business people handle their business the way they want, and have to live with the consequences of their choices ...

Just too bad if it means you friend does not go for a brass-cast landing gear AM. On the other hand, I have read so many times that the opinion of LSP members was insignificant in the grand scheme of things, that maybe this is an illustration that in some instances, the LSP community have an influence on business...

For myself, I hope (selfishly :) ) that the comments about the F7-F will motivate HPH to avoid this type of mistakes on the forthcoming DC-3 ...

Keep enjoying yourself building the T-Cat...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers

Brian,

I understand your point, yet you only stated your opinions, in a proportion to the love you have for the subject, and the frustration in front of avoidable mistakes.

Again, the negatives comments from others was IMHO triggered by Jiri's answer to you, which you reported, and was a case study of bad customer's relations behaviour ... and you are not responsible for this. Business people handle their business the way they want, and have to live with the consequences of their choices ...

Just too bad if it means you friend does not go for a brass-cast landing gear AM. On the other hand, I have read so many times that the opinion of LSP members was insignificant in the grand scheme of things, that maybe this is an illustration that in some instances, the LSP community have an influence on business...

For myself, I hope (selfishly :) ) that the comments about the F7-F will motivate HPH to avoid this typ3 of mistakes on the forthcoming DC-3 ...

Keep enjoying yourself the the T-Cat...

Hubert

Thanks Hubert. That really means something. It really does. Its hard not to feel at least a little responsible for the end of that business decision but yes, a bit of a disappointment, but I can understand his reasoning. 

In this case I have resolved myself to finishing the kit, the moment it came out and all the issues are at this point only strengthening my resolve for that.    The main issue for me here is the exact one you pointed out.

I can correct the gear issue on my own, I knew this from the beginning, but as you said, I was (and still am) hoping for brass gear to come to the market, even if I scratch up my own, which it appears I will have to do since I think things will work out way better and easier in the end if I installed at least the main upper section of the nose gear and associated assemblies into the nose well prior to fuselage assembly, contrary to the instructions. 

Doing things this way will give me a way to level out the stance of the model in the end, and will I believe save the hassle of trying to insert and glue in the main gear after fuselage assembly (which from all test fits I've done appears to be verging on the impossible) which is what the instructions would have the modeler do.

The avoidable mistakes and HpHs response are still a bit of a sticking point for me, but it is what it is, and I will figure a way through that issue as well.

Thanks again for the kind words guys. Its helping me, it really is. 

Brian, don't be shy. You have bought this kit, so you have all the right to tell your opinions about this one. It is not as if you are ranting about something you "know" only from internet photos. True? True!

If we are in an urgent need to get lied to we will go to watch a salesman or to listen to politicans... You are an adult modeller (not the least one) and we are interested into your true opinions about this kit and the behavior of the manufacturer regarding customer services and so on.

If you got the feeling that your thread might be imbalanced and too negative - well, there are a lot of free pages to tell about the positive aspects of the build and where the kit truly shines.

Go on - both modelling and commenting.

We are with you.

- dutik

Edited by dutik

agreed. 

I sensed some negativity as well at some point, but honestly when you love so much your project your expectations might be very high, hence the sense of disappointement underlying sometimes

All this is forgotten when we overcome the challenges and display a nice model. 

And we're most grown up able to deal with the builder feelings. I'm sure we all shared them at some point in our own builds   

Regardless, i'm still checking this WIP whenever I come home :)

Brian,

I'm not likely to build a tigercat any time soon.   It's just not in my focus at present.  But I appreciate your honesty.  If you were building a kit that was in my focus, I'd be glad to know if I needed to make extra preparations (even just mental preparations) before I bought it.  I don't trust overly glossy reviews.   They always make me think the person writing the review was just happy to get a kit for free and was hoping for other free kits in the future.   I think you are doing a fine thing.

Keep on!

Gaz

This is one of the reasons this site is miles above other sites. HONESTY, but the members here no how to handle honest criticism. You are aproching this as an honest builder. Of course this being your most favorite aircraft, it doesn't hurt either. Carry on sir.....Harv 

What worth is a build report without the honest opinions of the builder?  I didn't have the perception that you were unfairly trashing a company's product but simply providing us your experiences with the flaws that you encountered.  Every kit has flaws and what we do to overcome those flaws, big and small, make the build interesting.  Please don't change your approach!  We all have a passion but not all of us can convey that passion as well as you are able to do.

Brian, i really can't make any other additional answer/remark/opinion on what's already been said:

I think you're on the proper way to make this model, your dream model, a real masterpiece, and maybe just because of your enthousiasm you WILL notice some shortcomings, and just can't live without fixing them, good show.

i hope i'll have the same talent when tackling this twin monster myself.......

keep up the good work,

Jack.

Edited by Jack

Guest Peterpools

Brian's honest impressions of the pluses and minuses of the kit as he moves forward have forced me to evaluate the skills needed to bring the kit to completion and being honest with myself, they are beyond my abilities. With AM cast gear and seeing how to actually correct the bottom wing panels, I might have a fighting chance but until then, I am sorely disappointed knowing I'm way over my head as the Tigercat stands now.

Peter  

From my own perspective, your evaluations are extremely valuable.  I WANT to read about the warts and sub-standard stuff.  I've often bought kits based on rave reviews ("Anyone who can follow directions can put this together! It's perfect and fits like a dream!") only to find the reality, for me anyway, was completely different.  I can decide for myself if a particular issue is a deal-breaker, but I want to know it exists.

So please do continue as you were.