1/32 WW2 Corsair New Resin/PE Cowl

LSP_Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Oct/Nov 2011 orders.

From our caster Damien who is turning out some lovely cowls.

There are 15 cowlings left to cast on List 4 and that will complete the production run.

Mold No. 5 just went t/u, now on to No. 6, will start on that this pm - takes 48 hrs to cure both parts.

Should be casting again on Wed.

Working as fast as possible at this time.

I'll email those who have made inquiries to pass on any information.

We'll still assess viability of casting more cowls sometime in 2012. We'll look at ways to minimise the turnaround time between payment and delivery as we're keen to avoid undue pressure of anyone involved in the cowl construction or having people wait unreasonable time frames for goods they have paid for.\

Thanks Matt

• 2 months later...

Did anyone have an issue with the cowl fitting the cowl ring. My ring was attached to a resin backing plate and I had to carefully razor saw the ring of the backing. No problem: now it looks like the photo in the instruction sheet. However, as I was dry-fitting the cowl ring to the cowl so I could form the flaps, I noticed that the cowl ring would not fit into the cowl. It appears aas if the ring is a lttle too large. It appears as if this ring will be needed to mount the cowl and flap assembly to the Trumpy fuselage firewall, so a nice fit is (IMO) imperative. I think I can sand the cowl ring a little to get a fit, but before I kluge this nice piece of resin, I thought I would ask if anyone has had a similar issue. The cowl has been in the shipping box for a few months and I am wondering if it is shrinking a bit? Any thoughts? TIA

Larry C

Did anyone have an issue with the cowl fitting the cowl ring. My ring was attached to a resin backing plate and I had to carefully razor saw the ring of the backing. No problem: now it looks like the photo in the instruction sheet. However, as I was dry-fitting the cowl ring to the cowl so I could form the flaps, I noticed that the cowl ring would not fit into the cowl. It appears aas if the ring is a lttle too large. It appears as if this ring will be needed to mount the cowl and flap assembly to the Trumpy fuselage firewall, so a nice fit is (IMO) imperative. I think I can sand the cowl ring a little to get a fit, but before I kluge this nice piece of resin, I thought I would ask if anyone has had a similar issue. The cowl has been in the shipping box for a few months and I am wondering if it is shrinking a bit? Any thoughts? TIA

Larry C

Larry

Bevel the outside edge of the cowl ring that fits in the cowling - always hack on the cheapest part. Use a piece of 320 or so grit sandpaper - sand, test fit, sand, etc.. It should slide in with a slight bit of pressure. If things go south for you, PM me with your address and I'll send another ring.

I've never had any resin "shrink" after curing, always happens in the casting process due to slight pressure variations, age of the mold, temperature, phase of the moon, not holding your mouth right, ad infinitum. It's more of an art than science, to me, anyway.

HTH,

D.B.

• 2 weeks later...

D.B.: Do the cowl stiffeners mount with the "sharp" end forward. The instructions are not explicit and the photo in the instruction sheet is not that clear. Everything is proceeding nicely. Thanks.

Larry

This link to my build using the cowl may help a little.

The stiffeners have a pointy end that is supposed to face forward. The curved edge is the gluing edge against the cowl. I'd suggest you use Scotch quick dry adhesive or even plain white glue followed with thin CA once dry to strengthen. Don't use instant glue as it does not give enough working time to position the part.

Ron

scotch%20tacky%20glue.jpg

• 4 months later...

G'day!

Wondering if the cowl s still available, or if there will be another production batch?

Thanks,

Matthew

There are no more available at the moment, but another production batch is possible, though I couldn't say when or even confirm it for sure.

Kev

Kev,

Any thoughts of getting a store to carry them? Say Spures or someone like them or one of the LSP Sponsors?

Everything really depends on when/if Damian is available to cast them again. I'm pretty sure that wasn't going to be before the end of this year. We've considered going with other casters, but Damian's work is top-notch, and he was able to do order fulfilment for us too. Otherwise the logistics get too hard too quickly!

Kev

• 1 year later...

It still possible to get the cowling replacements? I'm interested in two of them. Or whom else might have something like it, if this is no longer possible.

Thanks!

Tim W.