Recommend me a Kit

Mark M

i dont mind a kit that requires work, as i see it as a learning curve, but dont want somthing unbuildable, to those except masters, cos that im not,  but as i said cash is a issues so i dont want to spend a fortune on aftermarket

i did say fighter but i am swayed to the avenger

and you summed it up, its a hobby so i want to enjoy it

I won't be the first to say that the Tamiya Corsair is expensive; It is. However there is a lot of variability in price between paying full retail for one in a store versus buying one online. I got my 3rd Tamiya Birdcage from Amazon for about $56 and free shipping just for signing up for the Amazon Prime visa card. There may be similar deals on Amazon you can take advantage of.

The Trumpeter Avenger is an excellent-looking model when finished but it has a very very high parts count. The Trumpeter Dauntless and Bearcat have lower parts counts and should be considered.

The Tamiya Corsair however, fits so well and really needs no aftermarket unless you obsess over ignition harnesses and the like. Its not a kit intended for beginners, but paradoxically, if you are an experienced builder you will be amazed by how faultlessly everything goes together.

-d-

Thanks for all your feedback guys its much appreciated, ive been modelling for a while but only just really stepping into the 'larger Ladies' area

i think im going look around for bargains / deals but ill be going for a Avenger and corsair, when the money and time is right

Sounds like you're narrowing down your decisions...having personally built the Trumpeter Avenger I can tell you its a marvelous kit, the fit is fantastic (just carefully watch the area around the cowling/fuselage join as this was a tricky place) (at least for me).  Try either eBay or www.scalehobbyist.com (they usually have the lowest prices on most kits).

Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152:

It seems to me that you left out a few words.

For example, are you a builder who demands that the kit itself be perfect, without need of aftermarket goodies to buy?

Or are you the builder who does not mind a few kit flaws as you can fix those yourself.

Keep in mind that all the replies you read here reflect the needs and skills of the writers themselves. Your skills and needs may be quite different.

Personally I prefer the Avenger. A good heavy bomber is always preferable to a fighter.

Have fun,

Stephen

Hey Steve,

if the preference is a bigger bomber why not a 1/28 scale PBY Catalena by Guillows?

02.jpg

Tom  :innocent:

Edited by Gigant

I agree with others. The Trumpeter Dauntless kits are fairly easy, good detail and the fit is good. The Wildcat, Avenger and Bearcat are from their "A teamâ€. You can pick these up on eBay for about $60.

Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, Corsair, :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152: :m0152:

I assume you are talking about the Lukgraph kit?

Lukgraph-vought-sbu-1.jpg

Thanks for all your feedback guys its much appreciated, ive been modelling for a while but only just really stepping into the 'larger Ladies' area

i think im going look around for bargains / deals but ill be going for a Avenger and corsair, when the money and time is right

Before you dismiss the Tamiya Corsairs as being too pricey, have a look at the various Japanese sellers on Ebay.

I have used "Tokyo Hobby" many times and can vouch for Jun's quality.  He's actually in Osaka near as I can tell, but he is my go-to source for anything Japanese.  There are others out there too, though Tokyo Hobby's prices with shipping are usually competitive with the cheapest you'll find on Ebay.

Just checked---the birdcage Corsair is currently $83.70 plus shipping at Tokyo Hobby.  He will also combine shipping charges on multiple items ordered at once which can create further savings.

Maybe once or twice a year I'll order up a multi-kit/supplies order and usually save at least 1/3 on shipping fees with the combined shipping. 

Have fun building whatever you decide on! 

Edited by ringleheim