1/32 Trumpeter Me 262A-1a "Yellow 3"

Thunnus

Definitely some progress being made, Tom!  Slow but definite!

Now that the fuselage halves have been glued together, I can start working on getting the nose panels to fit.  It's not the greatest fit here so I had to use some shims made of sheet styrene to close the gaps.  I've not yet glued the panels in place as I want to make sure I do everything BEFORE the glue so that I can minimize the seam clean-up.

IMG_2835.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

Thank you Uncarina!  I'm taking my sweet time on this to try and ensure good fit around the gun cowlings.

To tighten things up, I added a final shim to the whole back of the forward gun cowling piece.  My goal is to have the cowling pieces finished separately so that I won't have to do much corrective work after the wings go on.  Although I think I added enough weight into the forward fuel tank container, I wanted the option of adding weight to the space in the nose and if I close up the nose now, I'd have to tear it apart to add weight.

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

There are some overhangs and gaps here and there but I think it'll tighten up nicely once I get some glue on the joints.

IMG_2887.jpg

The biggest overhang occurs here at the joint between the front and rear gun cowlings on the starboard side.

IMG_2885.jpg

But adding just a little finger pressure eliminates it.  From the photo, I see at least one previously glued joint that needs to be cleaned up!

IMG_2886.jpg

I will square off the edges of the gun cowling pieces, restore all of the rivets and panel lines and then set the pieces aside for assembly later.  During this time, I've been cleaning up the fuselage joint and restoring the rivets, panel lines and hatches in preparation for the addition of the cockpit and eventual attachment of the wings.

I've started work on the engine nacelles.  Since the engines will be hidden, I am only using the engine parts that will be seen at the two ends of the nacelles.

IMG_2888.jpg

The engine nacelle joints need lots of clean up due to the glue seam and also a rough pebbly texture along the joint area.

IMG_2930.jpg

The view into the back of the engine will be very limited so I'm not doing much work here except painting the area in a dark steel color.

IMG_2939.jpg

Here are the two nacelles with the seams cleaned up.

IMG_2940.jpg

I've done a lot of seam work on the fuselage so I'm ready to glue the cockpit tub into place.  Before I do that, I attach my previously made wiring harnesses to the wheel well.  These will be trimmed once I get the sidewalls in place.

IMG_2935.jpg

The sidewalls are glued onto the tub and the whole thing is glued into the fuselage halves.  I used JB Quik Weld for this to allow for any positioning adjustments.

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

There are some various bits and pieces to the Aires wheel well that need to be attached so I'll be taking a look at that next.

Edited by Thunnus

A bit of the seam clean-up on the fuselage.

IMG_2944.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

The engine nacelles are almost complete.  I've been cleaning up the seams as I go... doing the main longitudinal seams first and then the joint between the rear cap and nacelle. Once the front cap is complete and glued into place, I will clean up that last seam.

IMG_2947.jpg

You can barely make them out but I've added semi-circular pieces of plastic into the handholds on the engine nacelles.  Trumpeter molded them as depressions but they should be flush with the surface.

IMG_2948.jpg

I've added spreaders to the engine nacelles to help them fit the wing better.

IMG_2950.jpg

are you planning on getting rid of the  panel lines( canyons)on the fuselage and wings.  I  have been following along as this model and scheme are next up in my building sched

I am keeping the panel lines and rivets intact on this build.  I understand that the panel lines and rivets on the 262 were treated with putty but the putty treatment was known to wear down over time.  And since Yellow 3 was a older 262A-1a airframe, I thought the case could be made that the panel lines and rivets would be visible on this aircraft.  Plus, I like the visual interest that the panel lines and rivets gives to to the surface of this model.

Thank you for stopping by Andy!  Things are going a bit slow on the 262 but I hope to make some more progress soon.  I'm cleaning up the engine nacelles and still need to figure out how to install the various rods/actuators in the wheel bay as the Aires instructions are frustratingly vague.

After some seam clean-up, I shot the engine nacelles with primer (Mr Surfacer 1200).

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

There are some spots to clean up but largely, the engine pods are done.  At this stage, I have all of the major components on hand to do a major dry-fitting.

IMG_2967.jpg

The big reason that I wanted to do this is to determine whether or not the weight I put in the forward fuel tank was sufficient to keep this model from tail sitting.  I've confirmed that I have more than enough weight up front so I'm going to attach the nose panels and clean up that area before attaching the wings to the fuselage.

IMG_2968.jpg

One modification I performed was on the horizontal tail stabilizers.  Trumpeter has tabs on the leading edge that causes them to be at a lowered angle.  I wanted them in a neutral position, so I cut the tabs off and relocated to allow the neutral positioning.

IMG_2969.jpg

One question I'm debating is whether to glue the engine pods on the wings while they are separate from the fuselage or glued them into place after the wings are attached.  I'm leaning towards gluing them on before to make it easier to address the joint between the engines and the wings.

Looking good - just wondering why you didn't fill-in the sink marks that are found around the leading edge of the air intake? They are quite prominent unfortunately. Other than that - great work overall!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan!  I was wondering about that.  The sink mark depression around the  jet intake was so uniform that I thought it might be a a feature of the real aircraft.  :D  Apparently not!  The engines are not mounted yet so I can address it.  Yay... more putty work!

Edited by Thunnus