I fought the Hog, and the Hog won

Hey Gang,

Well, I've started another project, this time the Northrop YA-9A. Molds were carved out of Balsa, which takes no time to do, but they don't have the nice finish of Basswood I'm going to cheat a little, and steal parts from the Trumpeter A-10 where I think I can get away with it.  :innocent:

So, here is where I'm at- Forgot to include the rudder bits, oops.  :mental:

DSC00003_zpsx2krm0uh.jpg

Hope this helps in your great project.

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/ya-9a_walk_1.htm

By the way. She is at March AFB at the museum. Three hour drive for me. Three thousand miles for you sorry. But if you need something for your build. I will try to help.

Cool project bro.

I just bought a book "US combat aircraft fly-off competitions". It has a chapter regarding he fly-off between the A-9 and the A-10.

A good read. There are also some computer renderings of what the A-9 would have looked like in service and in combat. Pretty cool. You should check it out.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

WVery interesting project, Lee.

Which parts of the A-10 are you going to use?

Cheers

Rainer

Hi Rainer, I hope to use some cockpit parts and landing gear bits, mostly.  I am going to build it with the canopy closed (I'm weird that way- if an airplanes canopy slides back, like a mustang or opens sideways, like an F-104, I might pose them open. Clamshell canopies? I never open them, it ruins the lines for me). hopefully, I will have some progress pics of this and my Jurassic build, now that I have a new camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update on my YA-9A, I finally received my shipment of 2-part foam, and got started making a foam core for the model. I sprayed a second, spare fuselage pull with silicon release spray and poured liquid foam into the fuselage halves. After curing overnight, I popped the foam out and installed it into the trimmed fuselage halves, and trimmed it to shape. This will provide a rigid core for the model, negating the need for additional bulkheads. I'll cut out the area for the cockpit and nose gear bay, and after the cockpit is finished, I'll glue the halves together.

DSC00007_zpswbbbex2w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a short update on my YA-9A- I completed the cockpit, using the Trumpeter tub and the Eduard instrument panel pre-painted upgrade (32-013). The Trumpeter part has very, very little relief, and dry-brushing it was trying to pet a butterfly without squashing it. I think it turned out OK, especially since the canopy will be closed.

​Later tonight, I'll glue the cockpit into the fuselage, and glue the fuselage halves together. Progress!

DSC00009_zpsteo1ifp0.jpg

Love the scratchbuilds! I will be following with interest while I try doing this at these large scales for the first time.  I love the cockpit and the  MFD in operation. Foam..what a cool idea there. I was just looking at some in hardware store thinking "how could this be used in scratchbuilding?" but nothing came to mind.