Nakajima B5N2 Kate: FINISHED

Allok

Q:can you make a clear canopy for those models using very thin plasticcard ?

A: Clear plastic will be inserted into the canopies as soon as I find some the right grade.

Fantastic work Allok!

When you first posted this thread, I thought: "how good can a paper model look?" Well you've answered with an emphatic "GREAT!"

I wonder if one could transfer the plans of a paper model like this to thin aluminium sheet and make the model out of aluminium? That way you could rivet, sand, paint?! It would need more internal framework for support though, I suppose. (just thinking aloud here sorry!)

Anyway, super job!

Cheers

Ango

Thanks Ango

I wonder if one could transfer the plans of a paper model like this to thin aluminium sheet and make the model out of aluminium?

What a brilliant idea!

You could blow the parts up to 1/3-scale and the kids could play on it in the back yard!!!

The inspiration for this came from an He-111 that I saw, it's got a vac canopy and everything! Perhaps I could have a go at a C-130???!

That would really be awsome.

This should be completed by the weekend- then on to the next one. Still waiting for you to enter something, I'm sure a theme that catches your fancy will start up soon. You're probably sick of making Warhawks by now.

It sure does take some getting used to, I have been practicing some of the techniques before I chop up my first one, very different techniques.

The C-130 would be really nice, lots of room in that interior. There is also a 1/33 B-52 available, I saw some pictures of that built with a kid holding it, incredible!

Actually, I haven’t worked on a Warhawk in quite a while even though I have a large stack of them to do. Kind of burned out on airplanes right now, haven’t worked on one in some time. Just finished sticking together three Star Trek models ( Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise and Klingon D7 and the AMT Bird Of Prey), all three are ready for putty and paint. Have three cars going right now, 1/25 Chaparral 2D, 1/25 1967 Shelby GT-350, and a long-term project of the probably 50% scratchbuilt 1/16 front engine dragster. Nothing that will fit in the group builds for a while, but I will stick a photo or two up in the off topic sometime. :)

Three Spaceships and three cars! You have been a busy boy.

Don't forget the model rail.

I've got an AMT hover tank on the go but I haven't built a spaceship in ages. I miss them, actually, maybe I could do an X-Wing in 1/32.

Guest UMIRESIN
B) You are a braver man than I Allok ! I once bought a paper FW-189 " Eye in the sky " I took one look at all those tiny lil paper parts . closed the " booklet " it was printed on & sent it to a friend who actually likes these things :(

Hmmm...

That looks really good!

Reinforces a concept John 'Tigger' Wilkes and I have been discussing for several years - i.e. copying the paper b'patterns' onto plastic sheet - I even have the 1:33 Avro Vulcan B2 card kit sat on the shelf just waiting for me to pluck up enough courage! B)

Iain

The spaceships were fairly simple to build except for the Klingon D7, nothing wanted to fit and will take a lot of plastic and putty to fill. The Polar Lights Enterprise is pretty good if you like Star Trek. It’s about 11 inches long and comes with the parts to make the first pilot, second pilot, and the series versions, also get decals for the Mirror Mirror version, it was a new tool and is $10.00. I heard they just stopped production recently.

I wish I would have picked up the X-Wing when I was at the hobby store, instead I picked up the cut away version of the Millennium Falcon, it was a big box but so were the others, I didn’t realize how huge the Falcon model is, 18in. long! At least it will be fun to paint. Please pose some pictures of yours when you get to them. They are fun to do.

Still gathering stuff for my model railroad ( N scale, 1/160 scale), got an excellent deal on track, switches, and a couple other things on ebay recently, still need some more stuff before I can start building. It will be a shelf railroad, 6ft. long and built modular, middle section and both ends.

Here’s a couple free paper models that are as good as any store bought. A tank

http://www.konradus.com/szufladki/agand/index.html

And a ship from Star Wars

http://www.konradus.com/szufladki/raziel/index.html

The completed model;

Pictures165.jpg

Pictures163-1.jpg

Pictures161-1.jpg

Seems I found a use for some of those old Hasegawa Luftwaffe pilots. (Needless to say, they didn't look particularly Germanic)

Ya knowww...since you didn't rescribe all the panel lines I don't think this hardly qualifies as a build at all!*

I'm kidding, what a fantastic effort and with the addition of the "glass" and pilot figures,

stunningly realistic.

The weakest area is the cowling.

That's not a criticism of your work but a note on the limitation of the paper.

But that huge greenhouse and all the beautifully formed fuselage and wing work

are what really capture your eye, anyway!

I have known about these paper models for years, but never bought one because

I figured they would only look half ways decent if built by a paper model expert.

Seeing a fellow plastic modeler do one was the inspiration I needed to buy some.

I bought three Japanese aircraft I really want in my collection:

a Kate like this,

a Val and

a Ki-115 Tsurgi.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of doing it by combining techniques.

I'd like to reinforce the bulkheads with plastic.

I want to paint automotive fiberglas resin over the built up paper wings and fuselage and

then smooth it out with bondo.

Make some of the sub-assemblies like the engines, landing gear, cowlings, seats and some other interior components out of kit-bashed, injection plastic.

I'll "smash form' the canopies over masters made from the paper kit canopy parts.

I'm wondering, how did you make the glass for your Kate?

Thanks for an excellent job on a very unusual build,

Mike

*The rescribing comment comes from the fact that I am NOT into rescribing AT ALL!

The only scribing I ever did was on my vac Ta-152H conversion.

It was a ridiculous amount of work (to me) for an OK-at-best result.

Guest UMIRESIN

Absolutely beeee yooot eeeeee fulllllll Alok ! ! :rolleyes:

BUT--- as mentioned -that rear gunners glare is freaking me out lmao