AIMS Mistel 2 Ju 88 component

Pastor John

Hi Mark, Most of the Ju 88 A-4 airframe components you see are like you say new airframes with factory codes and a white or red tactical number on fin or rudder, same goes for one or two C-6 airframes which are not ideal as you have a solid nose and with this system you need all the visibility you can get during training. With all production shifting to the G-6 airframe and the cancelling of Ju 188 production a surplus of BMW engine airframes - namely the G-1 night fighter are used as the engines can sync better with that of the control fighter (Fw 190). All these airframes seem to be from operational units now equipped with the G-6. Conversions of G-1's mainly involved swopping belly panels with bomber type, strengthening oleo legs and front bulkhead, fitting cradle with exploding ball bearing attachments etc. Some like Red 12's sister - Red 11 - have a Ju 88 A-4/D-1 front cockpit section which makes perfect sense for he extra visibility and would make a perfect companion for this model - ok I will do this hehe!  I love this hobby and I love this airframe - an airframe with so many interchangeable parts - amazing.

Ok I am going to start on the Fw 190 - I have the Hasegawa kit thrown together for years just for a demo - I now need to make it nice, I see some F-8 Mistel components with ETC rack sway brazes for drop tanks and I see some without as per F-8 norm - I see some other components without any ETC rack at all - like wise with the lower outer wing armament hatch - even though the F-8 was not fitted with outboard cannon the upper wing fairings remain and the Mistel components can be seen with flat under wing hatches or with bulged under wing hatches. Since you can not see what is going on with the F-8 on top Red 12 I do not need to worry too much about the fact that my kit was thrown together with sway brazes and bulged under wing hatches. I need to do some surgery however to the cockpit in order to get inside to paint and detail to some standard.

I bought the Eduard interior PE set for the Hasegawa kit - this is the first Eduard PE set I have bought since they started offering painted PE and I see that their RLM 66 has much more blue in it than the Extraclor paint I am used to which is almost black in comparison. Can anybody tell me if there is a matching paint on the market for the Eduard modern sets?

I also see that non of the F-8 Mistel components have the larger wooden paddle bladed props so I am ok with the Hasegawa ones correct?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi John

Luvly 88.. :)

I think most folk who don't like the blue grey of Eduard pre-painted panels have toned them down with a wash. That's what I'd do as that blue grey is pretty bright (comparatively speaking).

Matt

Thanks for that John, I have just looked again and two very well respected paint chips and the Ju 88 A-1 restoration in Norway and they are all much more akin to what Xtracolor produce than this Blue Grey Eduard are using - a real shame me thinks.

Well damage fixed and a multitude of sink marks filled. The Fw 190 does not have the easiest cockpit to go back and retro-detail and / or convert to Mistel set up. This model was thrown together years ago just to sit on top of my Mistel conversions at model shows, now I want to make it nice for myself - arhhhhhh. Anyway done my best to add a compromise layout which will have throttles for left and right Ju 88 engines added latter but no chance of engraving some nice slots for them as cannot get in there! SB Mistel style central console and added a few bits from eduard PE set. Again gearbay would have been alot easier to detail before kit build but there you go. It looks like the F-8 on top of Red 12 has no ETC rack fitted - A-8 on top of Red 11 does not have one either.

20150910_193328_zpsc2q7lgku.jpg20150910_193423_zpshvevmh79.jpg20150910_193646_zpseymcnzw1.jpg20150910_193724_zps7c6rfqe5.jpg

Edited by Pastor John