F4U-1D Brooklyn Butcher VMF-512 USS Gilbert Island, July 1945

1to1scale

Well, I have been quiet for a while on this build. Unfortunately, disaster struck. I was recuperating from knee surgery, but Monday I felt good enough to sit at my desk and work, unfortunately, the effects of Vicodin made me keep going when disaster struck and the clear gloss started orange peeling very bad. So my foggy mind kept telling me to put on another coat to smooth it out, but I was left with a surface that looked like an orange rind, I would say “orange peelâ€, but it was quite a lot worse than that common painting malady.

Both wings were horrible in the bend, so bad I considered stripping it all. But I let it dry, and I tried sanding it with 3600 grit, whichmad it better, but my rivets are pretty much gone. I am going to try decaling it and putting on a coat of satin varnish, if that fails, I will go back and strip.

This shows one of the good areas, half sanded.

9ST4xRz.jpg

KacvcUj.jpg

This area was not so bad, but still needs a sanding.

GBdyBFp.jpg

dbJ20Mh.jpg

9jclZWI.jpg

I have used the Vallejo metal Varnish (gloss) on my mustang project and it went on perfectly, the difference here was that I used chipping medium under the paint.

1. I believe that the water in the varnish activated the chipping medium.

2. When I cleaned and wiped the model after chipping, I used paper towels, which probably left microscopic lint, which the varnish stuck to, creating the rough texture.

3. The valley in the gull wing let the chipping medium and the gloss to pool, which, made the problem worse.

4. Another factor was that humidity was high when I sprayed the mustang, and low when I painted the Corsair. I should have added retarder to it.

5. Wrong mix, unfortunately, I also forgot to thin it, I should have thinned the varnish 50%, like I had done in the past.

Let this be a lesson to all of you, pain drugs and modeling don't mix. Now, I need to make a tough choice, do I sand and decal, strip the whole thing and do it all over again? Another option is I am considering just stripping the top half of the wings and re-painting just the topside. Really, the top of the right wing is the worst. I have to think about this.

Edited by 1to1scale

I'm about 90% done, just one wing, cowl, and few tough spots to go. Unfortunately, it means about 10 hours wasted, and a set of very expensive masks destroyed (I could only find them in Australia, so I paid $28 plus $25 expedited shipping). I may rob the masks I bought for my Hellcat, it should have the right insignia in it. Luckily, the original set had the aircraft numbers both on the masks and the decal sheet.

TxrIwwj.jpg

XjhT9Bg.jpg

MxvkLK4.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

For what its worth, i really like the Gloss Sea Blue you came up with; its a very pretty shade, not being too dark. Sanding off the paint rather than stripping with alcohol will probably make it adhere to model better especially if its an acrylic or lacquer.

The latest issue of Warbirds Digest has an excellent article on the restoration of Paul Allen's FG-1D, and the paints they discovered, matched, and used during the rebuild.

One thing that i am noticing about later Corsairs is that the national insignia on the upper left wings seem to have moved inboard a bit, as compared to the earlier -1As. The fuselage insignias generally stay in the same place but there seems to be quite a bit of variability in the upper LH one, when you take to time to look at lots of photos.

Just throwing that out there for reference.

-d-

These are some popular paint mixes for Tamiya paints, the one I used is in the middle, it looked the most right to me, with a slight sun fading, the one on the left would be appropriate for a highly faded GSB, on the right, just looked to blackish, without the Blue tint to it. I also tested several “stock†paints, but none looked very GSB. A lot of people like the Model Master, but I felt it looked more appropriate to Korean War.

bIZHLJF.jpg

I find it interesting that your GSB is clearly different to the insignia blue. Some people mix it up so dark that there's no distinction. Whether or not everybody would agree with it, I think it's more visually interesting

Edited by Bstarr3